EU Huawei RH2288H V3 (ddr4/v4) full fronts 187€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
@Xeroxxx
Bad news, the figures seem to be quite accurate except for one situation where the BMC reports a much higher power draw (server OFF, both PSUs online). I've run some tests with a Peaktech 9040 which isn't calibrated nor does it report its accuracy but the reported and measured values are pretty close. Tested with the following hardware config:
2x E5-2640v3, 148GB (10 DIMMs 2133MHz@1866), LSI3008, Intel 82599 2x10Gb SFP+, Intel Pro1000PT 2x1GbaseT, Mellanox Connect-X3 Pro 2x40Gb QSFP, 6x SATA HDD@7k2rpm, 1x Intel S3500 80GB and 1x Samsung PM1633a 960GB. Network links down except management port, fans @22%, line voltage 231VAC, 2xPSU 750W in load balancing mode.

Hardware statereported by BMCmeasured
Off, 1xPSU online, BMC run18W16W
Off, 2xPSU online, BMC run36W19W
POST198W198W
OS boot (ESXi 7.0U3c)216W210W
OS run (idle, no VMs running)192W191W
OS run, 1xPSU online, 1xPSU offline198W200W
OS run, 1xPSU online, 1xPSU pulled198W186W
Thx for your detailed report and analysis.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
sssooooo
I picked up my Server today from the Shipping Company.
Hmm I dont know if its good or bad it seem I have this riser card:
without the GPU Power Cable. Are there some Spare, Generic one maybe to molex to power an USB Card?

I also have this Ram inside: Dell 4GB (1x4GB) PC4-17000PR 1Rx8 Server Memory - Y8R2G
Hmm does the Server even support such a fast ram?!

EDIT: So I have 2x 12 Ram Slots that mean max 96GB Ram. :eek: I would say its enough for many thinks.
Is there a cheap source to get some?
The riser card was included with the server?

Ordered mine today.

tic226

Feb 2, 2017
DE
Esiso is selling this model at an equally great price in the US: 2288HV3 HUAWEI 2U SERVER 8SFF BAREBONE CHASSIS CHEAPER THAN THE R730 DL380 G9 | eBay However, they appear to sell the 2.5" version with an 8-bay drive cage only. I am not sure what the availability of spare parts is over on this side of the Atlantic, but I wasn't able to easily find extra drive cages, for example.
Nice find! Spare parts are quite expensive since they're rare and not worth buying imo. A 24-bay backplane alone would cost almost as much as the whole machine. The servers from the listing you posted come with two PCIe risers though, most versions over here in Europe have a 2-bay 2.5" cage in the back and just one riser. It's a good deal for a compute node or hypervisor that can hold a couple FHFL GPUs or NVMe, those risers are >>USD100.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
HELP the Server doing nothing!
The LED Display on the right show "000", the Power Button blinks Orange and the Remote Card is death.
What did you brick now? Maybe the Ram on the wrong position? Now the are on A + B.
I did unplug the Server from the Power for quite a while.
Thanks!
Power Button Indicator:
  • Blinking yellow: The iBMC is starting.
FusionServer Rack Server Product Documentation (huawei.com)

Reactions: tic226

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
It seem the are not starting. :( Last time I config the Server to not starting up when the power got restored.
Well the Server should react to something like when i Push the Power Button,...

EDIT: Now it worked...
What I did:
  • Remove and Plugin all Ram Bars
  • the same for the Fans
  • Remove the (Micro) SD Card from the Internal Slot

Last edited:

tic226

Feb 2, 2017
DE
It seem the are not starting. :( Last time I config the Server to not starting up when the power got restored.
Well the Server should react to something like when i Push the Power Button,...

EDIT: Now it worked...
What I did:
  • Remove and Plugin all Ram Bars
  • the same for the Fans
  • Remove the (Micro) SD Card from the Internal Slot
Did you actually wait long enough for the BMC to come online? In case of faulty hardware the (red) error LED on the front will blink and an error code is displayed, none of which should prevent the server from starting, at least none of the parts you listed. And the SD card slot directly on the system board is only for the BMC, if you want to use SD cards as blockstorage for the system you need the optional module that goes into connector J57. In fact, a wonky SD card could have been the cause for your misbehaving BMC.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Did you actually wait long enough for the BMC to come online?
Yes normally it take <1Min. When the hang, lag after 5, 10 Minutes it obvious there is something wrong.
a wonky SD card could have been the cause for your misbehaving BMC.
Yes maybe.

So I change some minor thinks in Bios and I cant access the Raid Controller. What did I do wrong this time?
Which Boot/ Bios Option is necessary that the Raid Card is accessible at the Start?

HUAWEI RH2288H V3 Server 2XE5-2640 V3 16GB 12x 3,5 LFF 2x 2,5 SFF | eBay The Server is again on Discount!
EUR 281,06 + Free Shipping in Germany
+ PIO2022001 Discount Code mean 15€ discount added!

tic226

Feb 2, 2017
DE
So I change some minor thinks in Bios and I cant access the Raid Controller. What did I do wrong this time?
Which Boot/ Bios Option is necessary that the Raid Card is accessible at the Start?
Boot option set to UEFI only? Set it to UEFI+legacy and leave the CSM option enabled.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Set it to UEFI+legacy and leave the CSM option enabled.
What is that? I must check the Bios in the evening.
I see one of my good old SAS HDD in the Web GUI but the say the could not find the Raid Controller to Config?! WAT?! How the see the HDD without the Raid Controller? I dont get it. :rolleyes: Sorry for ask so much Question I guess it help other People to.

EDIT: As Post before the seller wo sell compatible Ram (do some People here) now is back from his "Holiday" and we can buy there again:
Free Shipping to Germany.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xeroxxx

tic226

Feb 2, 2017
DE
What is that? I must check the Bios in the evening.
'Compatibility support module'. I don't recall if the Huawei BIOS calls it that or even uses it, just make sure you enable legacy mode (UEFI+Legacy/Dual mode is fine).

I see one of my good old SAS HDD in the Web GUI but the say the could not find the Raid Controller to Config?! WAT?! How the see the HDD without the Raid Controller? I dont get it. :rolleyes: Sorry for ask so much Question I guess it help other People to.
So what are you trying to achieve here? If you can't enter the controller's config utility during POST see my comments above. It seems you're using the WebUI instead (the WebUI is... suboptimal, can't help with that). Start by using the controller's own config tool instead; during POST wait for the initialisation until it shows this:

Press CTRL+C, the config tool opens:

If that doesn't work check your BIOS boot type, set it to 'legacy'. If it still doesn't work come back here and report.
Btw, has the controller worked before? What OS are you using? IT or IR firmware on the controller?

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Btw, has the controller worked before? What OS are you using? IT or IR firmware on the controller?
Forefore I change something? Yes! Non. Stock FW who come form the Reselling Company. I have no Access to any FW from Huawei (now).
(UEFI+Legacy/Dual mode is fine).
Still select.
If you can't enter the controller's config utility during POST see my comments above.
Well I select the Dual Mode.

tic226

Feb 2, 2017
DE
Are you able to access the controllers config tool during POST now?
If you need firmware, docu, drivers, etc. send me a PM with your email, i can send you the files.

Edit: I see it still doesn't work. Reset the BIOS to default. You must've messed something up, the controller uses PCIe lanes from CPU1 but it should still be visible in the iBMC overview.

Last edited:

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
EDIT: As Post before the seller wo sell compatible Ram (do some People here) now is back from his "Holiday" and we can buy there again:
Thx, thought seller will be back on 27th. Ordered 7 sticks to get to 128GB.

@tic226
My server will arrive this week. Would you mind providing latest bios and bmc files?

Will try to register as homelab user @huawai later this week, when I have the serial number.

• Love
Reactions: Your name or