HPE Samsung PM1725B NVME U.2 3.2TB - $540 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wemonkee

Apr 29, 2021
Great pricing for a datacenter grade U.2 NVME drive, especially considering the recent rise in prices. Offered $470 for 2, accepted.

Edit: Some more details, these were manufactured Mar. 2020 - they may still be in warranty but I wouldn't count on it. Samsung rates these for 3DWPD for 5 years for 17.5PBW.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoeBoye and Samir

hatchi

Nov 8, 2014
Sorry I'm completely unfamiliar - are demo drives less desirable or bad?
I dont know

the only implications as far as i know you cannot upgrade the firmware on those drives since they are not officially supported

That being said , I have few 15TB rev0 drives and they are running fine since 2 years with zero issues

Reactions: Samir and wemonkee

wemonkee

Apr 29, 2021
I see, thanks, that's a bit of a bummer... But I guess can't really go wrong at this price - they're like $1k everywhere else on ebay

Reactions: Samir

wemonkee

Apr 29, 2021
These will still work with any board though, right? They're not firmware locked to HPE or anything are they? Hoping to use them with a Xeon W-2145 build

DoeBoye

Feb 24, 2016
Thanks for the great lead! Price is rising as well. $750cdn now. I got one just before it went up.

alexus

May 6, 2021
I see, thanks, that's a bit of a bummer... But I guess can't really go wrong at this price - they're like $1k everywhere else on ebay
HPE Demo Program means the drives were used for demo purpose by HPE. They are 100% genuine HPE and support firmware update. Dell demo and HPE demo do not have Dell or HPE warranty but usually you don't need it. They are almost new drives in most of the situations. Do not confuse these with Engineering Samples. They are production drives like the ones sold as NEW by Dell or HPE. Sometimes they are sold as HPE RENEW or Dell RENEW products.

Reactions: wemonkee

triples

Nov 2, 2019
Yeah, this isn't a Great Deal, maybe good currently due to Chia but I'd say no since they are not reatil drives even.
These used to be a great deal for 350-400 IMO, full retail\supported drives.
I was always wondering, except Intel drive with a retail ISN, any manufacturer really provides warranty for enterprise drive brought on ebay even though it's non-OEM? I know Sandisk does not.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I was always wondering, except Intel drive with a retail ISN, any manufacturer really provides warranty for enterprise drive brought on ebay even though it's non-OEM? I know Sandisk does not.
I've only experienced used WD\HGST and Intel warranty and honestly that's a bonus, as the price is right to buy spares and have them ready to drop in... and at this point with mining I'm glad I did. I assume no warranty with anything I buy on ebay unless they list that and highlight it as a selling point but that often also drives price up.