HPE Proliant ML30 Gen10 GPU Upgrade Possibilities

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ccdsap

Sep 1, 2020
Hi guys, I want to buy a HPE Proliant ML30 Gen10 at home and need a gpu for graphics intensive work. But I don't know if the server has the ability to upgrade to a consumer-class GPU that needs more than 75w power, say 2080Ti? I know the original power supply should be upgraded, do I need extra power cord or something for the GPU? Is there any chance that the card cannot be recognized?

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
From what I can tell from the quickspecs the short answer is no. There isn't a place to pull power from really. The long answer is that it probably depends on how "creative" you want to get. It has power connections to power the 5.25" bays so there is available power from those power connectors. As for the power supply, you'd be looking at the 500w supply and possibly adding a second one.

quickspecs

ccdsap

Sep 1, 2020
Did you got one? I want to do some thinks to.
I'm still holding my pocket and waiting for Ryzen R9 5950x or 3950x with an ASUS Pro WS x570-ACE motherboard. That would be the best and least expensive choice that meet my need.

ccdsap

Sep 1, 2020
From what I can tell from the quickspecs the short answer is no. There isn't a place to pull power from really. The long answer is that it probably depends on how "creative" you want to get. It has power connections to power the 5.25" bays so there is available power from those power connectors. As for the power supply, you'd be looking at the 500w supply and possibly adding a second one.

quickspecs
Thank you for your reply! I'm planning to switch to Ryzen now.

Reactions: Jason Antes