HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus Ultimate Customization Guide

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hvddrift

Jan 12, 2022
Hi, I have this server at my home. I also have 5/6 older 3.5 SATA drives sitting in my cupboard. I use unraid and I was contemplating adding these to the server.

I have 4 HDD already in the server, so if I was to add a Case like the Fractal Design Define for the HDD, what would I need to connect the server to the case? (I am very new to home servers, so I apologies for the newbie questions)

I saw on reddit this reply:

• You can use a cheap SAS card like this one, flashed in IT mode to connect up to 8 SATA drives. Other cards may be repurposed but not all flash to IT mode. There is a lot of material on this topic on YT. PCIe to SATA cards exist but those are either expensive or questionable IMO.
But I am unsure if that will definitely work.

I would love to hear from anyone that has put external drives in the HPE Gen10 Plus and their cost efficient configuration.

Thank you.

tumor_

Oct 13, 2021
There seems to be series of new QM2 cards. There are higher end models with PCIe gen 4, but the interesting one for me at least is the new

"QM2-2P10G1TB"

Featuring 1x 10gbe + 2x m.2 ssd slots with a total bandwidth of PCIe Gen3 x 8. The 10gb port is advertised as "high efficiency", using about half the power of previous models.

I have just ordered the new card, though it may take some time to arrive. Just hoping its compatible with gen10+ :)
Please report back when you get it.
I have given up on trying to get the ' QNAP QM2-2P10G1TA' to work. BIOS update did not work for me.

christian-schulze

May 11, 2022
Adding to the collective knowledge about SSD compatibility when using the QNAP QM2-2P10G1TB adapter in the HPE MicroServer Gen10 Plus...

Failed:
  • Samsung 1TB SSD 980

Worked:
  • Intel 1TB 660p
  • Intel 2TB 670p

shadow82

Sep 26, 2022
I am looking for the same info.. I just got mine a week ago and put esxi enterprise on it... 1 windows vm kills all the ram in the host so is it possible to go higher than 64gb?

chris
That's a question that bothers me as well.
Officially it's not possible, yet compatible CPUs and mainboard chipset do support up to 128GB RAM as below specs says:

CPU: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ocessor-8m-cache-3-40-ghz/specifications.html
MNB with same chipset: X11SCL-F | Motherboards | Products | Supermicro

Currently I have ML330 Gen6 oldie, which has been produced before NVME drives showed up to the market and guess what?
NVME drive put into PCI-E works like a charm :)

Still I'm looking for something smaller and more quiet - like HP MS Gen10+but 64GB RAM is a bit too less for me...

Anyone got something confirmed for 2x64GB running ok.?

grocerylist

Oct 10, 2022
Has anyone successfully installed an OS (Proxmox) on a USB SSD and got it to boot from that USB SSD? I've been struggling to get my Proxmox install to boot from my Crucial x8 USB SSD. I'm able to install to it but after installation, my MSG10+ tells me that it can't locate any bootable drives. I've tried installing Proxmox in UEFI mode, legacy mode but neither make any difference and I get the same result. I was able to install to one of my HDDs and it booted fine. I can't figure out why it won't boot from my USB SSD. In bios iLO boot options, I see proxmox and have put it at the top of the list to boot from.

Any help/tips are appreciated!

jaswer

Dec 7, 2022
Adding to the collective knowledge about SSD compatibility when using the QNAP QM2-2P10G1TB adapter in the HPE MicroServer Gen10 Plus...

Failed:
  • Samsung 1TB SSD 980
  • Samsung 1TB SSD 970 evo plus
  • Samsung 500 GB SSD 970 evo plus
  • HP 250G SSD EX900
  • JD JingZao SSD 1TB QinLin

Shadragon

Apr 17, 2023
Wanted to thank the staff at STH for this review. I bought two of the Gen10 Plus Microservers for my home lab on the strength of the STH reviews / articles and had zero issues with them for the two+ years I've owned them. Since then, STH has been my goto for info.

I set them up with 4 x 1TB SSD in RAID 5, 32 GB RAM and run VMWare ESXi. They are quiet as mice and with the iLO option, a dream to work on.

I'm looking for a 10GB card for my hosts for improved vMotion. The official HPE option is Marvell QL41132HLRJ 2 x 10GB for over $1,000, which is the cost of the server. The QNAP option presented is also quite expensive and availability is sketchy.

Been looking at the 10Gtek X540-10G-2T ($114 on Amazon), but wondering if there were any other modern suggestions. I'd like to stick with dual RJ45 as I'd like to make them my vMotion ports and use crossover cables between the hosts for direct transfers (No more 10GB ports available on my current switch). Would need autosensing ports on the card to support that.

Any suggestions? My budget would be around the $400 for two cards. I can go higher for something truly dramatic. Thanks.

DIXLOFOC

Apr 27, 2018
Wanted to thank the staff at STH for this review. I bought two of the Gen10 Plus Microservers for my home lab on the strength of the STH reviews / articles and had zero issues with them for the two+ years I've owned them. Since then, STH has been my goto for info.

I set them up with 4 x 1TB SSD in RAID 5, 32 GB RAM and run VMWare ESXi. They are quiet as mice and with the iLO option, a dream to work on.

I'm looking for a 10GB card for my hosts for improved vMotion. The official HPE option is Marvell QL41132HLRJ 2 x 10GB for over $1,000, which is the cost of the server. The QNAP option presented is also quite expensive and availability is sketchy.

Been looking at the 10Gtek X540-10G-2T ($114 on Amazon), but wondering if there were any other modern suggestions. I'd like to stick with dual RJ45 as I'd like to make them my vMotion ports and use crossover cables between the hosts for direct transfers (No more 10GB ports available on my current switch). Would need autosensing ports on the card to support that.

Any suggestions? My budget would be around the $400 for two cards. I can go higher for something truly dramatic. Thanks.
Look for dual 25GbE cards. Intel 710 or Mellanox ConnectX-4 series.