HPE ProLiant DL325 Gen10 Review AMD EPYC 7002 Power

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
On one hand these are very power hungry on the other they ate very frugal.
It does look like we have a kind of power consumption floor for general servers and even the 7nm is not really dripping that.

64 core, add 16 x 64gb and you have 1TB ram. (I know 2tb is possible but I assume will mostly be used as 1TB in virtualization roles)
Totally amazing what you can do these days in 1u and 1 socket.

gradinaruvasile

Jun 29, 2017
We have 2 of 325s and one 385 with first gen EPYCs in a Proxmox cluster and they are perfect with the onboard 4xgbe+2x10gbe loms

HP seems to have lowered their prices recent-isly, we got the last 325 (SFF, 7351P cpu, 408i raid, 2x 10k 1.2 tb sas, 128GB, 4xgbit+2x10gbit) better equipped for the same price as the first one (LFF, 7281 cpu, 208i raid, 2x 1 tb sata 7.2k 3.5", 128GB, 4xgbit+2x10gbit).

We had 3 3TB WD Greens laying around and i connected 2 of them into our LFF 325 and just worked in a RAID 1, no fan spinning issues. Also i put 6x WD Blue 500GB SSDs into a SFF 325 and that worked too. The hardest part was finding the drive caddies part number because HP sells them only with HDDs/SSDs. We had to get them from Amazon and a local reseller who most likely got them from China (the boxes had thank you labels with hearts heh). The SFF caddies were worth more than half the price of the SSDs.

BTW the remote console works even after POST with the basic license. It just disconnects every 1.5 or 2 minutes with the licensing missing message but you can just click the thumbnail again and you have another session. It does not seem to be a limit of the sessions, i worked half an hour or more once like this. Saved me lots of time, i was remote. And yes, it is frustrating but gets the job done in an emergency.

And i have to mention the management tools from the OS that saved me a couple of reboots when i created RAID arrays of newly inserted discs. The tools from ilo can be used to create arrays but you need a reboot whereas the management tools lets you create arrays runtime from the OS (they have Debian packages aswell, work perfectly on Proxmox).

Reactions: Cixelyn