HPE ML110 Gen10 - Let's discuss...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

richardm

Sep 27, 2013
Pros:
  • These things are competitively priced vs an equivalent white-box with a HEDT/server board. They sometimes show up as open-box or refurbs for not much more money than the processor alone would cost.
  • They top out at 30db and idle around 45 watts.
  • The case expands to 8x LFF or 16x SFF.
  • If one avoids the redundant/hotplug PS option they can get what appears to be a standard ATX supply that can be easily(?) replaced.
  • iLO 5.
  • Three year warranty from HPE
  • ESXi 7.0 HCL
  • FCLGA3647 socket with 2nd gen Xeon Scalable.
  • 192GB RAM max.
  • Can use my modest stash of retired Gen8 SAS drives.

Now help me with the cons.
  • If this box is anything like the DL380 I had, it's persnickety about 3rd party hardware and will often throw alerts and adjust its fan RPM to "Boeing."
  • If I use 3rd party drives I'll have to hunt down the Gen8+ carriers.
  • If it dies out of warranty I'll be scouring eBay since an ATX or E-ATX board ain't gonna fit.
  • My fat stash of DDR3 ECC won't work in it.
  • There's a good chance those undercostly Amazon "off-roadmap" Xeons popping up in the aftermarket won't work since the highest TDP on the options list is only 110w.
What else?

burkesquires

May 26, 2020
Hello,
HPE ML350 Gen10 Unraid user here. I moved from a ML30 Gen10 that I had 7 drives in (4 hot plug (standard config) and a 2-bay 5.25" to 3-bay 3.5" drive cage). Ran hot so I upgraded but also because I wanted more capacity to drives. I tried a Dell PoerEdge R730xd, which was great but loud! I like having hot-swap drives and it is memorizing to watch the lights but mainly because it is easy to find a drive that I want to swap out. Definitely not a "need". I really like iL05. The server is in a closet in my office, so close, but it is nice to have the iLO remote access. My setup as a 3204 processor which I have researched a little. I did learn that someone was recommending QQ Intel "off-roadmap" chips. Have not tried any yet.

Overall things are expensive to add to the system like additional hot swap cages but drive carriers can be gotten cheap off eBay am thinking of upgrading my gaming / PC computer with something with more hoursepower then keep the ML350 as the Unraid server. Please fell free to respond or PM for other questions.

richardm

Sep 27, 2013
It seems like I'd really enjoy owning one of these provided I remain within HPE's walled garden. I just don't know if I'd end up frustrated when it doesn't tolerate being treated like a white-box.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
They seem pretty cool, I assume the max TDP of 100w is fixed, other than I am sure being locked to the maximum the hardware (vrm’s) required simply won’t be on board.

I wonder why they say max 192gb, any reason 384gb using 64gb dimms wouldn’t work ?

Other than that it’s just about finding at the right price. Plenty of HPE parts from eBay that can be hard to stay branded as well.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Hope noone minds a question here. I just got my hands on a second hand ML110 gen10. What cpus will work in it? Only the SKUs that HP has listed or is it more flexible? Is it related to TDP or certain models?
I tried a Xeon 5218 but it didnt boot. I also couldnt find what firmware updates are needed for moving to cascade lake.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Hope noone minds a question here. I just got my hands on a second hand ML110 gen10. What cpus will work in it? Only the SKUs that HP has listed or is it more flexible? Is it related to TDP or certain models?
I tried a Xeon 5218 but it didnt boot. I also couldnt find what firmware updates are needed for moving to cascade lake.
5218N should work, max TDP for the ml110 is actually 110w
not listed should work but I do t have specific experience on this model but other gen10 models.
I would update all firmware levels to latest before trying a 2nd gen scalable if your system shipped with 1st gen scalable.

i am so curious why now 2Rx4 64gb rdimm support (6 x 32gb = 192gb max is always stated but do not see why 384gb would not be possible)

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
I have tried to update everything. But searching for each individual firmware is tricky. Not sure if i missed anything. The SPS refuses to upgrade and cant find any PLD at all.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Usually I would just throw in the latest SPP and let it go, handles any updates for iLo and system. Which would be enough for a CPU.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Aaaaah.. perhaps i confused the version number with a date. 2020.03.2. (September 5)
Yes 2020.03
Support for 2nd gen scalable has been in gen10 systems for a long time, that’s SPP will be more than fine.

next bet for a more powerful system is ML350 but that’s really a different beast !

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Yeah I dont need more powerful. I just had a few SKUs of cascade, but they didnt seem to work. But the 5120 i have should be fine. =)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Yep as pointed out just check out the quick specs but more or less anything should be listed and work.

Reactions: burkesquires

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Again, sorry for digging in here. But can anyone confirm if the ML110 Gen9 RPS enablement kit would work with the Gen10? Is it the same generation of power supply? Are both flex slot?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Ok so gen10 are low halogen psu, physical same but different part number.
Officially I think they say no but practically it probably works. If nobody else can answer I can’t check an ML but can check a DL380 and see.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
@Evan thanks! What i find strange is that the part list for gen9 states common slot and gen10 says flex slot. Are those really the same?