HPE EC200A Xeon D-1518 'hybrid server' on ebay ~$150

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rubenel

Nov 30, 2020
My Twin brother gifted me this server. I went on the hunt for Drive Bays. I found this thread with compuwizz 3D renders. A big thank you to compuwizz for the 3D renders of the Drive Trays.
I was able to use his files to obtain 3D prints and use some screws to hold the 2.5 drives in place. I can always use 3.5 in the future. I have confidence that the trays will hold the drives without collapsing.
$20 for prints. $5 for screw hardware.

Thanks compuwizz!

Attachments

Last edited:

canta

Nov 26, 2014
My Twin brother gifted me this server. I went on the hunt for Drive Bays. I found this thread with compuwizz 3D renders. A big thank you to compuwizz for the 3D renders of the Drive Trays.
I was able to use his files to obtain 3D prints and use some screws to hold the 2.5 drives in place. I can always use 3.5 in the future. I have confidence that the trays will hold the drives without collapsing.

Thanks compuwizz!
Do not put 3.5 hdd. It generate heat much for small 40mm fan.
I added the standing tray for mounted 3x40mm low speed fan ( controlable)

no issue on orginal noise.For living room or home theater closet(I use besta from ika) . I need to add extra fans and the best use is standing vertically.

i am happy with a little beast. Running on nvme. The mesh-nvme plastic is not good to for living room/ home theater placement. But 3 fans blowing from bottom to up. It reduced nvme temp.

thinking to get one again with 5pct ebay buck promo.. it is back to $150 price.
my purposes: running all linux containers.
I am going to move amd rx.... ( hp t730 equivalent model) which is running my containers.

the running one is passed my stress-ng test and running 24/7 with my containers.

one major flaw: this smal beast is easy to overheat due to a single fan 40mm with additions: nvme, hdds.

my suggestion: add extra fans or your will die soon or later due overheat.Very bad cheap design on my understanding. Even my hp t620 (linux firewall and router) has better cooling and build quality

good luck and enjoy

Reactions: Samir and Rubenel

compuwizz

Feb 25, 2017

Thanks compuwizz!
You're very welcome! I'm glad the templates are getting used.

Reactions: Samir

jmhalder

May 21, 2019
These have M.2 SSD, has anyone tried using one on this machine, any limitations?
It does NOT work with SATA keyed drives, NVMe only. It also works just as a PCIe slot if you use an adapter, but obviously any card needs to have external power.

holyver66

Jan 14, 2021
Picardie, France
For anyone interested, I have a copy of the March 2020 HPE Service Pack disc I can share privately. My EC200A came with the original 2016 v1.00 system ROM. This brings it up the latest v2.66 available via entitlement. I can confirm that both Debian and FreeBSD installed without error via remote .iso attach from the iLO Remote Console.

Stock firmware upon receipt:

Firmware NameFirmware VersionLocation
iLO2.40 Dec 02 2015System Board
Intelligent Platform Abstraction Data10.7System Board
Intelligent ProvisioningN/ASystem Board
Redundant System ROMU26 v1.00 (04/14/2016)System Board
Server Platform Services (SPS) Firmware3.0.3.9.1System Board
System Programmable Logic DeviceVersion 0x07System Board
System ROMU26 v1.00 (04/14/2016)System Board

Firmware post-update:

HPE Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 366i Adapter - NIC1.2529.0Embedded
iLO2.73 Feb 11 2020System Board
Intelligent Platform Abstraction Data12.02System Board
System ROMU26 v2.66 (07/19/2019)System Board
Yes please! I would like a copy. Thanks!

Mymlan

Clean, Friendly, and In Stock.
Oct 1, 2013
Reposting as it was buried and folks are asking:

The 'HPE 2020.09.0 Service Pack for Proliant' was released this week with updates to both the ILO and 366i firmware. Below I've provided the firmware versions post-update as well as an open download link in case entitlement gets instated:

HPE Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 366i Adapter - NIC1.2688.0Embedded
HPE Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 366i Communication Board - NIC1.2688.0Slot 4
iLO2.74 May 08 2020System Board
Intelligent Platform Abstraction Data12.02System Board
System ROMU26 v2.66 (07/19/2019)System Board

Download link:

cmoski

Jul 7, 2020
Any leads on the 858010-001 board? Looks as if its out of stock everywhere. I found one supplier who wants $195 for one; but claims they have to grab it through the HP Spare Parts channel.

cinemafunk

Feb 24, 2021
Hello,

I just found out about this server while browsing eBay and I wanted to see if this is still a good purchase? I noticed a few people saying these machines didn't last to long. Wanted to check-in and see if that the machine is holding up.

My goal is to use this machine to run Proxmox to primarily containerize Graylog. I'm ingesting less than 500mbs per day, but I want to learn more about logs and how to leverage them.

I saw earlier than someone was about to get Samsung 2133MHzCL15 modules to work instead of the official HP modules.

I'm accustomed to Supermicro's IPMI, but I'm a little weary about using iLO. From what I understand, it's HP's version of IPMI that has some IPMI compatibility? Would I be able to use IPMIViewer with it?

May 4, 2015
Hello,

I just found out about this server while browsing eBay and I wanted to see if this is still a good purchase? I noticed a few people saying these machines didn't last to long. Wanted to check-in and see if that the machine is holding up.

My goal is to use this machine to run Proxmox to primarily containerize Graylog. I'm ingesting less than 500mbs per day, but I want to learn more about logs and how to leverage them.

I saw earlier than someone was about to get Samsung 2133MHzCL15 modules to work instead of the official HP modules.

I'm accustomed to Supermicro's IPMI, but I'm a little weary about using iLO. From what I understand, it's HP's version of IPMI that has some IPMI compatibility? Would I be able to use IPMIViewer with it?
I can confirm the Samsung Memory works just fine. I have two sticks of 4gb installed (I had them from ordering the wrong stuff for a different project and forgetting about them way beyond the return window) You can use ipmiviewer but it is very very limitedScreenshot 2021-02-28 123504.png
No GUI console is available in this session. You can use the hp iLo console app though for gui needs from here: Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.

for everything else you can just log into it from the webpage:
Screenshot 2021-02-28 124158.png

I haven't tried installing a hypervisor on it due to the 8gb of ram installed on it right now. I did try installing esxi but forgot about HPE custom images and had some issues with drivers. I have the correct image sitting and waiting on me to upgrade the memory. Its currently pulling duty as my untangled firewall right now and not a lot of desire to setup vswitches to virtualize it. I am lazy sometimes.

cinemafunk

Feb 24, 2021
I can confirm the Samsung Memory works just fine. I have two sticks of 4gb installed (I had them from ordering the wrong stuff for a different project and forgetting about them way beyond the return window) You can use ipmiviewer but it is very very limitedView attachment 17699
No GUI console is available in this session. You can use the hp iLo console app though for gui needs from here: Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.

for everything else you can just log into it from the webpage:
View attachment 17700

I haven't tried installing a hypervisor on it due to the 8gb of ram installed on it right now. I did try installing esxi but forgot about HPE custom images and had some issues with drivers. I have the correct image sitting and waiting on me to upgrade the memory. Its currently pulling duty as my untangled firewall right now and not a lot of desire to setup vswitches to virtualize it. I am lazy sometimes.
Thanks for the reply. I decided to go with repurposing my Windows 10 daily driver and is ready for a career change. Thanks!

cathrine484

Feb 28, 2021
Hello, just stumbled across this thread. Still a good buy today? Would be thinking about using 3 as a proxmox cluster for various vms. I have a link for some barebones for 150+shipping and would put 16gb RDIMMs in each with a 32gb boot ssd and 2 2tb hdds. Any thing seem wrong here before I pull the trigger?

Ryan0751

Feb 26, 2021
I just picked one of these up. I've got it up an running with Proxmox.

I've downloaded the .iso support pack linked above, but it's not clear to me how to upgrade the EC200A using this. Is there any good documentation? Does it need to be done on the server itself or you run the service pack software on another machine?

My primary desire to upgrade is a hope that the new iLO provides an iKVM that works with modern browsers. Is this the case?

May 4, 2015
I just picked one of these up. I've got it up an running with Proxmox.

I've downloaded the .iso support pack linked above, but it's not clear to me how to upgrade the EC200A using this. Is there any good documentation? Does it need to be done on the server itself or you run the service pack software on another machine?

My primary desire to upgrade is a hope that the new iLO provides an iKVM that works with modern browsers. Is this the case?
You mount it in the ilo as a virtual cd drive and boot from it. its pretty much self automated so it index and applies updates that are needed