HPE EC200A Xeon D-1518 'hybrid server' on ebay ~$150

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
Reactions: Samir and Marsh

serioussam1215

Sep 5, 2020
Does anyone know if you can run 2 8GB sticks of RAM in in these units or even 1 16GB stick? I don't need 32gbs or even 64Gbs of RAM and I'd rather purchase the bare minimum to get the systems up and running and upgrade over time.

Reactions: Samir

xeonguy

Aug 29, 2020
Out of interest what some of applications folks here are using this machine for? Looking for a bit of inspiration.

duckduck

Aug 22, 2016
Out of interest what some of applications folks here are using this machine for? Looking for a bit of inspiration.
I plan on having it off-site with a family member as a little proxmox node for light stuff. They also have the same FTTH provider, so ping is <2ms across town.
I'm trying to first make it a little quieter by finding a way to mod another fan solution on it. Which iLO doesn't seem to like at all. I'll be trying the mod I've seen for faking the PWM tach to the board next.

Reactions: Samir and xeonguy

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Looks like the STH effect went through these fairly quickly.
Not fast enough, in my opinion. It might’ve gotten more attention due to the video @Patrick did, but I don’t really see it as being as positive for the machine, as, say, the one
for the Microserver Gen10+.

In fact, the same seller is trying to push his luck listing it at 150, 200, bundled multi-unit offers and other tiers. I don’t see this machine selling out until possibly the end of Q3.

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Not fast enough, in my opinion. It might’ve gotten more attention due to the video @Patrick did, but I don’t really see it as being as positive for the machine, as, say, the one
for the Microserver Gen10+.

In fact, the same seller is trying to push his luck listing it at 150, 200, bundled multi-unit offers, and other tiers. I don’t see this machine selling out until possibly the end of Q3.
I didn't mean it selling out but just more people looking at/buying them. Based on when the article was released until now, more total units have been sold between all the sellers than prior to that article.

Also, the post you quoted was for the one with the HDD brackets in them which did sell quickly after the initial person posted the link in this thread.

Dark-Vex

Dec 4, 2017
For anyone interested, I have a copy of the March 2020 HPE Service Pack disc I can share privately. My EC200A came with the original 2016 v1.00 system ROM. This brings it up the latest v2.66 available via entitlement. I can confirm that both Debian and FreeBSD installed without error via remote .iso attach from the iLO Remote Console.

Stock firmware upon receipt:

Firmware NameFirmware VersionLocation
iLO2.40 Dec 02 2015System Board
Intelligent Platform Abstraction Data10.7System Board
Intelligent ProvisioningN/ASystem Board
Redundant System ROMU26 v1.00 (04/14/2016)System Board
Server Platform Services (SPS) Firmware3.0.3.9.1System Board
System Programmable Logic DeviceVersion 0x07System Board
System ROMU26 v1.00 (04/14/2016)System Board

Firmware post-update:

Firmware NameFirmware VersionLocation
HPE Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 366i Adapter - NIC1.2529.0Embedded
iLO2.73 Feb 11 2020System Board
Intelligent Platform Abstraction Data12.02System Board
Intelligent ProvisioningN/ASystem Board
Redundant System ROMU26 v1.00 (04/14/2016)System Board
Server Platform Services (SPS) Firmware3.0.3.9.1System Board
System Programmable Logic DeviceVersion 0x07System Board
System ROMU26 v2.66 (07/19/2019)System Board
I've ordered three of them and should I get them tomorrow (if everything is fine now with the customs), could you please send me a PM with the link? Thanks!

Mixpower

Jan 20, 2018
Is it possible to buy this in EU for 150$?
No, I live in the EU and bought it directly from the US.
My unit arrived today and have to say I didn't expect it to be this light haha,
build quality from my Gen8 is way better but that doesn't matter it goes in the rack anyway. :)

william212

Sep 8, 2020
to give you a bit of insight

These were custom build by HPE for the " Zynstra " SMB solution, they didn't sell very well and HPE had a stock pile due to there low power. but they were based on XEN hypervision on low power units with a couple of VM's then the rest of heavy compute done in cloud hosting for a subscription cost. The reason these are rare & cheap is the only way companys could get them when they were new was to buy them on monthly subscriptions which included the software, firmware and hardware. Where they made there money was that alot of companys would return them, leading zynstra to sell alot

the video on this is also incorrect, you can run esxi on it but only core. there is a option with in the bios to enable this.

william212

Sep 8, 2020
it is not possible to run windows on these ( you can get hyperv core running ) as it is bios disabled and the graphic chip was disabled, there is a bios hack to make this work but i did not take it with me once i left