HPE EC200A Xeon D-1518 'hybrid server' on ebay ~$150

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dirkthedaring83

Aug 14, 2020
They have an HDMI port on them but couldn't get it to work. Ended up using ilo and finding the address in the DHCP server so I could setup the system.
REAALLLY??!?! How did I miss that!! I feel so stupid! Now granted it had its cover on. I just thought that was a plastic filler. Thanks for the tip!!! LOL

Reactions: Samir

dirkthedaring83

Aug 14, 2020
Ok so I got the 2020 firmware iso and am trying to write it to a usb flash. however when I boot from it it crashes and says it can't mount cdrom. I can manually mount /dev/sda1 to /mnt/cdrom but then what??

duckduck

Aug 22, 2016
Ok so I got the 2020 firmware iso and am trying to write it to a usb flash. however when I boot from it it crashes and says it can't mount cdrom. I can manually mount /dev/sda1 to /mnt/cdrom but then what??
When I got mine, I first booted it with an sdd with Windows already on it and let Windows mount the .iso. I think I that updated iLO that way, but BIOS I did via iLO.

dirkthedaring83

Aug 14, 2020
Ok. So I got a bootable USB working. I tried etcher.io and rufus. It wasn't until I used the USB creator made by HPE that I was able to successfully create it. I had to mount the ISO and then copy the tool off, unmount the ISO and then launch the tool Good times. Now my system is updating. :)

WSTB

Aug 10, 2019

texteditor

Oct 8, 2019
Got mine from the California seller and still in the process of updating it, but mine also came with both trays.

Unfortunately one of the two second-hand RDIMMs I bought didn't like it, so I had to order another

fovecifer

Jun 14, 2017
For anyone interested, I have a copy of the March 2020 HPE Service Pack disc I can share privately. My EC200A came with the original 2016 v1.00 system ROM. This brings it up the latest v2.66 available via entitlement. I can confirm that both Debian and FreeBSD installed without error via remote .iso attach from the iLO Remote Console.

Stock firmware upon receipt:

Firmware NameFirmware VersionLocation
iLO2.40 Dec 02 2015System Board
Intelligent Platform Abstraction Data10.7System Board
Intelligent ProvisioningN/ASystem Board
Redundant System ROMU26 v1.00 (04/14/2016)System Board
Server Platform Services (SPS) Firmware3.0.3.9.1System Board
System Programmable Logic DeviceVersion 0x07System Board
System ROMU26 v1.00 (04/14/2016)System Board

Firmware post-update:

Firmware NameFirmware VersionLocation
HPE Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 366i Adapter - NIC1.2529.0Embedded
iLO2.73 Feb 11 2020System Board
Intelligent Platform Abstraction Data12.02System Board
Intelligent ProvisioningN/ASystem Board
Redundant System ROMU26 v1.00 (04/14/2016)System Board
Server Platform Services (SPS) Firmware3.0.3.9.1System Board
System Programmable Logic DeviceVersion 0x07System Board
System ROMU26 v2.66 (07/19/2019)System Board
I order one today, so could you please PM a link?

dirkthedaring83

Aug 14, 2020
Got mine from the California seller and still in the process of updating it, but mine also came with both trays.

Unfortunately one of the two second-hand RDIMMs I bought didn't like it, so I had to order another
yeah I think the NVMe drive that I picked up is faulty. Proxmox kept failing to install halfway through everytime I tried. I thought it was my usb flash stick so I tried a different one. Same issue. I then stuck an external USB SSD as an install destination and that worked. Going to move the NVMe drive to a different unit to verify its the drive and not the slot/unit itself. Love these little boxes though! Especially with the update ILO which has an HTML5 console!

raghu_mp

Jul 13, 2020

Do you mind posting the link to the listing on eBay for this California seller?

duckduck

Aug 22, 2016
Has anyone else tried swapping the fan on these out?
I did, but it doesn’t seem too happy with it, and reports no fan installed at all. I almost think there might be a minimum rpm speed, it demands to read. And if not reached, it will just report there is no fan at all.

Note: The wire pinout used on the included Delta fan is not the normal 4 PWM pin out. So swapped it around according to the Delta spec sheet.

jahsoul

Dec 13, 2013
War Eagle Country
I wanted to get one of these for a NAS (with the Storage Expansion) but I just hate that it only allows for gig ports. If it was a way for the communications board to be modified, I would be all on it