HPE EC200A Xeon D-1518 'hybrid server' on ebay ~$150

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

duckduck

Aug 22, 2016
So I don't really see the point in the temperatures readings for the CPU in iLO. When it doesn't match the real temp (lm-sensors) at all.
Is the iLO a "zone temp" around the CPU or instead of a normal CPU temp reading?

Reactions: Samir

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Someone that receives theirs from that auction should try to get a 3d STL file so people can print them if they want them.

Reactions: Samir and Dark

Senses3

May 11, 2013
Hey so I've been running esxi on two of these nodes for a couple weeks now. One is running opnsense+dc 2019+ a bunch of other VMs. The other is running vcenter server (which is a damn resource hog) and a couple other VMs. No clustering yet though, still haven't figured out exactly how I want to run these things and don't want to kill it as opnsense is acting as my main wan gateway (for now anyway). Sadly it doesnt seem to want to do any better than 500mbps throughput with NAT enabled and 6 cores exposed to the guest, I guess I have to do some more tweaking to see if I can get speeds up. Also I'm not sure it's entirely the firewalls fault here, I wouldn't be surprised if my ISP is screwing up on their end, but I'll figure that out whenever I test it again with my edgerouter hooked back up.

Definitely worth $300 bucks tho, especially since I already had the memory. Each has 2x32GB 2666 RDIMMS which will probably get swapped out if I can find any slower memory since the speeds on these sticks are being wasted.

latezx

Apr 23, 2020
Hello all - mine came in today. Threw in a couple of sticks of 16GB PC4-19200R 2Rx4 - but it seems to not be able to get past the initial post.
iLO is fully accessible and I tried swapping roms without success - gets stuck at 24% no matter what I do. Though I did manage to upgrade to the latest iLO.

Any and all troubleshooting steps welcomed!

1597864700700.png

mmo

Sep 17, 2016

latezx

Apr 23, 2020
I would certainly try to update the BIOS via the iLO if its possible. I managed to get the ISO that was so kindly shared however I am unable to find the actual bin that would work while updating from iLO. My understanding with the iso - is that it should be booted from where as I can't even get THAT far. Does anyone the BIOS update as separate installer?

As for memory - I can certainly try I don't believe I have that exact Hynix but it is a similar DDR4-2133 2Rx4.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
I would certainly try to update the BIOS via the iLO if its possible. I managed to get the ISO that was so kindly shared however I am unable to find the actual bin that would work while updating from iLO. My understanding with the iso - is that it should be booted from where as I can't even get THAT far. Does anyone the BIOS update as separate installer?

As for memory - I can certainly try I don't believe I have that exact Hynix but it is a similar DDR4-2133 2Rx4.
There is a .flash file if I remember right that can be flashed directly thru iLO. I can get you the path once I am at my PC.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
the .flash file is within this package: e:\packages\cp040771.exe, you can find all the updates with their corresponding packages from the contents.html within the .iso file.

1597884320545.png

latezx

Apr 23, 2020
Appreciate the assistance, the firmware update was successful and the machine did manage to move forward a bit but crashed at roughly 50%. I tried a different set of Hynix dimms and they seem to work just fine. Appreciate the assistance with the diagnosis, looks like these chips are either defective or incompatible with this system.

Reactions: Samir and Dark