HPE EC200A Xeon D-1518 'hybrid server' on ebay ~$150

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

techroach5

Jan 14, 2020
I'm seeing 34w idle with two dimms and one nvme.
Ouch, I had been watching this thread and hoping this might replace some of my X11 systems with E3-12xx V5 CPUs. But they idle around the same, so not much incentive to change.

Reactions: Samir

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
Ouch, I had been watching this thread and hoping this might replace some of my X11 systems with E3-12xx V5 CPUs. But they idle around the same, so not much incentive to change.
I’m shocked it’s that high. I’ll keep an eye on it.

bilson

Oct 5, 2016
Do you need that extra adapter for the nvme slot or is it already on the motherboard, having trouble identifying it.

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
Do you need that extra adapter for the nvme slot or is it already on the motherboard, having trouble identifying it.
The m.2 bay is accessible via the bottom of the chassis (access door). Nothing is needed to make use of it.

Senses3

May 11, 2013
Just received and installed memory/nvme.
Nice, you already got the network expansion board too. I ordered mine the day I got it, it's waiting for me at home.

I'm considering buying another one of these since I have another couple sticks of RDIMM doing nothing. May just start building a nice little cluster :D

Last night I got vCenter installed on this host and was able to migrate my domain controller to it with vmotion. Soooo easy.

Reactions: Samir and Dark

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
It looks like the M.2 drive options from the factory were M.2 SATA, but there is a reference to PCIe M.2. Can any one that bought one of these confirm if it is capable of M.2 NVMe?
Thanks

Senses3

May 11, 2013
So I just picked another one of these up for myself and one for a coworker. I see vsphere clustering in my future.

Senses3

May 11, 2013
Also, anyone have any idea how we can get an up to date BIOS for these things without an active warranty? Mine is stuck on a version from 2016 and I can see there's definitely newer ones on HPEs download page.

EDIT: Apparently we can get a 1 year 'foundation care' package which includes on site as well for $100.

Last edited:

Senses3

May 11, 2013
googled and got the following link, but not sure if it's correct one for this model.

Actually I found an even newer version: Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.

So apparently you can scroll through the revision history on the BIOS download page and the older ones appear to be available which is odd. Didn't think to look there, thanks for the link.

HP you really need to stop it with this crazyness. I'm just glad I didn't pay the $100 for their extended support.

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
Actually I found an even newer version: Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.

So apparently you can scroll through the revision history on the BIOS download page and the older ones appear to be available which is odd. Didn't think to look there, thanks for the link.

HP you really need to stop it with this crazyness. I'm just glad I didn't pay the $100 for their extended support.
HPE shows all BIOS updates as requiring entitlement, but BIOS updates that contain patches for CPU vulnerabilities seem to be downloaded without entitlement. HPE does not state this anywhere.

Reactions: Samir and Senses3

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
I updated the BIOS to 2.60 and iLo 2.73 without any issues. but i am struggling to install any OSes (proxmox, esxi 7.0, and windows server 2019) on it. esxi and win server has the protection exception error and no go at all on proxmox. Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

1596234176791.png