HPE EC200A Xeon D-1518 'hybrid server' on ebay ~$150

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Cool box, sellers have very little feedback. 4.5cm/1.85 inches tall so will take up 2U in a rack and since 25.4cm/10 inches wide you cannot fit x2 on 2U shelf but you could lay 10 on their narrow sides standing in 6U for 40cores 80 threads and 20 drives for $1500, someone do a cluster ha. It is quiet, without expansion specs say 35.4 dba operating noise. Spec sheet here https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c04959071.pdf

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
The spec sheet diagram states an optional NIC card slot but I don't see anything on options for it

Reactions: Samir

bilson

Oct 5, 2016
Reading the HP marketing materials about cloud support blah blah, does that impose any practical limitations for homelab usage? In other words is there something I cannot do with this server that I could with normal supermicro for example?

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
The spec sheet diagram states an optional NIC card slot but I don't see anything on options for it
Looks like at least one proprietary connector on the board.
Reading the HP marketing materials about cloud support blah blah, does that impose any practical limitations for homelab usage? In other words is there something I cannot do with this server that I could with normal supermicro for example?
I ordered one but I share the same concern. I am leaning towards the ability to load your own OS.

Reactions: Samir and Serhan

duckduck

Aug 22, 2016
Is it not a little odd that all the sellers are fairly new, all the same price? And that they all share the same copied description. No memory and no 3.5” mounting brackets and so on.

Does however look like a nice little box. Wonder what the idle watt is on it.

Reactions: Samir and Tha_14

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
Is it not a little odd that all the sellers are fairly new, all the same price? And that they all share the same copied description. No memory and no 3.5” mounting brackets and so on.

Does however look like a nice little box. Wonder what the idle watt is on it.
My guess is that it's a group of folks that got their hand on a bundle and they're splitting up the work/profit.

I'll keep this thread updated when my transaction.

duckduck

Aug 22, 2016
My guess is that it's a group of folks that got their hand on a bundle and they're splitting up the work/profit.

I'll keep this thread updated when my transaction.
Cheers.

Now non of the sellers seem to want to ship to EU anyway. But I am a little curious about the box.
If the 3.5" brackets could be found, it could be a neat little headless box.

bilson

Oct 5, 2016
Cheers.

Now non of the sellers seem to want to ship to EU anyway. But I am a little curious about the box.
If the 3.5" brackets could be found, it could be a neat little headless box.
Assuming that you can load your own OS, which is the big question. Software documentation seems limited on these.

duckduck

Aug 22, 2016
Assuming that you can load your own OS, which is the big question. Software documentation seems limited on these.
True, if you can't put a normal OS on them, they end up seemly fairly worthless for anything this forum would use them for.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Reactions: Samir and Dark