EU HPE Cloudline CL3100 Gen10 Barebones - $399

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cryptoswiss

Jun 14, 2021
Hi there, I got one of the units. Shipping went very well. But I have an issue. Added the Bronze CPU 3204 and a HPE RAM (P00922-B21). The RAM seems not be be discovered. Any idea what the reason could be?
Best,
Greg

Attachments

alsenior

Member Member
Apr 19, 2016
Hi there, I got one of the units. Shipping went very well. But I have an issue. Added the Bronze CPU 3204 and a HPE RAM (P00922-B21). The RAM seems not be be discovered. Any idea what the reason could be?
Best,
Greg
I think for these you need both cpu sockets filled for them to work.

cryptoswiss

Jun 14, 2021
Didn't mention. I have two CPUs installed. But in the factsheet is actually only mentioned 1 for the LFF version. The NVME version allways needs two. I also already tried to swap the CPUs to another slot. But still no change. Was affraid that one of my CPUs was broken.

alsenior

Member Member
Apr 19, 2016
hmm. not sure then. dont deal with hp stuff that often. im sure someone here will have the answer.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
The Bronze will only run DDR4-2133 - o/c it should downclock, but maybe it doesnt properly ...

Updated the bios yet?

cryptoswiss

Jun 14, 2021
Yeah. I've seen that It runs only on 2133. So I buy one of those and try out this. I assumed as it is a CTO version it would be possibly something special that I have to do as mentioned earlier on this thread.

Can not update the bios. Somehow the bios comes after the memory check. So I even do not get that far.

Thanks for the tips! Will update as soon as I've received the memory.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If the bios was potentially never updated it might also have an issue with the 3204 - not sure when HP added Cascade Lake support to their servers, not using them (HPE boxes)

anything1233

Just a Member
Dec 29, 2020
Is it the same as with the DL line – do fans do a 'plane takeoff' thing with non-HPE parts?

EDIT: there’s hope – found HPE’s 2018 Open Compute Project Global Summit presentation on YouTube where they state that their CloudLine is allegedly open and free of vendor lock-in!

Last edited:

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
The BIOS says it was built 2018, and cascade lake was released 2019. So it would never be able to boot with 3204 without update.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
@Sable was that directed to me? I was commenting on the screenshot where it shows the build date to 2018. That bios cannot boot with a cascade lake cpu. The unit needs to be booted with a skylake cpu. Then update bios. And im sure there is a released bios supporting cascade lake. You just need a skylake cpu to be able to get it in. Or normally thats the case. Perhaps this board can update only with IPMI and no cpu mounted at all. What do I know. I dont have the board.

cryptoswiss

Jun 14, 2021
The BIOS says it was built 2018, and cascade lake was released 2019. So it would never be able to boot with 3204 without update.
Yes. Exactly. I didn't see that earlier but realized it when I used the 3104 and it booted perfectly.

I tried to upgrade the BIOS via IPMI. But I couldn't flash it somehow. Got always some errors.

But now I've run into another weired issue. After some time "an unknown sensor" initiated a forced shutdown. Looks like a heat issue as I come further with a cold machine than when I immediately restart. There is also a memory error. So I ordered again another RAM module. This time a DDR4 2133 as recommended earlier.

But the installation has to wait until after my France vacation (2 weeks).

Thanks a lot for all your great help and ideas. Will write an update as soon as I'm back.

@Sable: I do not plan to install Windows. But I will be able to give you a feedback on Ubuntu.

Reactions: ecosse