HP X1600 G2 Storage Server $294 ($245 + $50 shipping)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
My whole plan:

- Dual L5639s
- 96GB ECC ram (had 8x16GB dimms that I bought a year ago when memory was still cheap...I should really just sell it for a profit)
- Replace the P212 with an IT-flashed M1015
- 12x 4TB reds in front
- Samsung 840 pros in back, running software Raid-1 on the MB SATA controller
- 4 more 840 pros tucked inside with a "Velcro ghetto mod" connected to the 2nd 8087 port of the M1015
- Mellanox ConnnectX-3 EN 10Gbe

Running Server 2012 R2 as a backup server + Hyper-V playground. Might move some of my regularly running apps to this (Blue Iris/Security cameras, etc).

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah no kidding if you guys have remorse. I'll buy one off you. or trade something :) I've got cray cray hardware (30" ZR30's, 27" ZR2740 all brand new).

Really I just have the 2REAR LFF and I need the x8 slot (rear 2SFF or 0LFF REAR)

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
Still waiting on my MB. Got drive trays and installed 2 OCZ 128GB SSD's, building a quick RAID 1 with the P212 was fast and easy. I didn't get much farther than that though, without IPMI video resolution made it difficult to read most of the screens and the fans were annoyingly loud. I'm hoping the real StorageWorks motherboard takes care of the fans.

Can you install the Lefthand software on the X1600 or is that for the P4000 VSA family only?

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
yeah just [recovery dvd] restore the setup to the same as your lefthand and get an activation code for the system. You will need to have your support ID for lefthand. I forgot the name of it, its the one thats damn near impossible to get without having the original order.

It is likely you can purchase an LTU software for a lefthand unit from ebay, but not legit from HP reseller. Support is a weird bird with lefthand and if you are honestly wanting to buy, i'd suggest getting the VSA . It is cheaper.

I let my support expire on the 4 lefthand (want to buy?) since it was going to cost $3000/year to keep the support going (hardware,software,support is packaged all together these days).

I would have to ask but I'm not sure if I could sell you the license alone, used. Probably have to sell the servers too.

support will not even entertain the idea at HP so that would be the wrong way to go.

LMK if I can help ,but I can only help with legit requests.

Last edited:

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
mrkrad, no worries, just a general query. I plan to move my unRaid server off to this and was going to explore a few options before that.

After swapping out the motherboards I remember why I like working on HP stuff, it makes sense.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
Had to wait until after work to fire up the new motherboard, the fans running full tilt would wake the kids. Anyway, I booted it and it boots into the correct bios and steps through the thermal calibration. It finds the CPU, RAM, etc and then it says a fan is missing and reboots.

There are six fan connectors on the motherboard. Documentation says 1,2,3 and 5 are used, 4 and 6 are vacant. When I boot in that configuration, the thermal calibration says fan 5 is missing, I move the fan from 6 to 5 and fan 6 is missing. I split the inlet and outlet fans with one on 5 and one on 6 and fans 5 and 6 are missing.

I'm sure it's a jumper or setting somewhere, I just can't find where. There are only three jumpers readily apparent on the board, one is the NVRAM reset and the other two don't have anything on them and I can't find them in the documentation. I've tried to get in to a setup screen by going through all the function keys during boot with no luck.

I've got an email to Synergy to see if one of their techs can help but thought I might check with you folks. It's got to be something easy, right?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The X1600 G2 I bought from them has the duplex fan connectors plugged into Fan 1, 2, 3 & 4. Fan connectors 5 & 6 are empty. It seems quite happy in that configuration.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
Thanks for all the help here. Finally got this issue resolved. The replacement board (HP PN 583736-001 SE1120 system board) is one in 20 different models. There are a set of SYS ID jumpers on the left hand side of the board, based on which pins are jumpered the BIOS will look for certain fan combinations. I removed all of the jumpers and, voila, the system booted without any complaints.

I'm posting this because I only found that out through a vague post on the HP support site about a P4000 server that wouldn't boot with an HP spare board and that was one of the things the HP tech recommended (and a reload of firmware).

Now to finish getting this thing set up, right now it boots the Proliant BIOS, any idea how to flash it to a StorageWorks BIOS?

Reactions: Blubster and legopc

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
The only bios you can put on a swd motherboard is the swd bios.

what are you trying to do?

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
I had them ship me the replacement motherboard for the X1600 rather than ship the whole server back But it boots the standard Proliant BIOS. So I guess I should update with the DL180 BIOS?

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Throw the SPP disk in and let it rip. I use SPP on my lefthand units. they are just servers man. nothing more

Blubster

Feb 25, 2014
Thanks for all the help here. Finally got this issue resolved. The replacement board (HP PN 583736-001 SE1120 system board) is one in 20 different models. There are a set of SYS ID jumpers on the left hand side of the board, based on which pins are jumpered the BIOS will look for certain fan combinations. I removed all of the jumpers and, voila, the system booted without any complaints.

I'm posting this because I only found that out through a vague post on the HP support site about a P4000 server that wouldn't boot with an HP spare board and that was one of the things the HP tech recommended (and a reload of firmware).

Now to finish getting this thing set up, right now it boots the Proliant BIOS, any idea how to flash it to a StorageWorks BIOS?
Hi!
Sorry to bump an old topic but i wanted to THANK YOU very much for these information!
I grabbed a cheap SE1220 mobo for my DL180g6 and could not get it past POST, it was complaining about missing all the fans even if they were plugged as before...
Removing the jumpers from SYS ID also did the trick. Previously it complained that fan 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 were missing, removing the jumpers then told me only fan 4 was missing (it was not plugged originally in the DL180g6, also according to maintenance and service guide).
Plugging the fan that was plugged in fan 5 port, in fan 4 port, made it past POST! :)
So without the jumpers, on my board, the correct fan combination is 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Then i upgraded the bios by taking a package from the HP X1600 G2 (about the same version as the one i had previously). As far as i can tell everything is working, but i get the health alert to blink red although status is reported as OK in SMH and ILO. Not sure what to do about that... :/

Last edited:

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
Hi!
Sorry to bump an old topic but i wanted to THANK YOU very much for these information!
I grabbed a cheap SE1220 mobo for my DL180g6 and could not get it past POST, it was complaining about missing all the fans even if they were plugged as before...
Removing the jumpers from SYS ID also did the trick. Previously it complained that fan 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 were missing, removing the jumpers then told me only fan 4 was missing (it was not plugged originally in the DL180g6, also according to maintenance and service guide).
Plugging the fan that was plugged in fan 5 port, in fan 4 port, made it past POST! :)
So without the jumpers, on my board, the correct fan combination is 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Then i upgraded the bios by taking a package from the HP X1600 G2 (about the same version as the one i had previously). As far as i can tell everything is working, but i get the health alert to blink red although status is reported as OK in SMH and ILO. Not sure what to do about that... :/
WHAAAT!!! How did I miss this information. I have one of them SE motherboards laying around that I cant do anything with because of that issue.

Blubster

Feb 25, 2014
WHAAAT!!! How did I miss this information. I have one of them SE motherboards laying around that I cant do anything with because of that issue.
Honestly if i did not find this i would never have been able to use the motherboard at all!

I am interested about your experience, as i am still concerned about my health led blinking. I installed everything with the latest SPP, still this led starts blinking as soon as i power up the server. I wonder if it is related to the fact that i don't have redundant power supplies, only one 750w power supply.

Are SE1220/X1600 g2 machines supposed to have RPS and give alerts if one of the power supplies is missing?

I don't have anything in the logs that seems wrong... :(

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
Honestly if i did not find this i would never have been able to use the motherboard at all!

I am interested about your experience, as i am still concerned about my health led blinking. I installed everything with the latest SPP, still this led starts blinking as soon as i power up the server. I wonder if it is related to the fact that i don't have redundant power supplies, only one 750w power supply.

Are SE1220/X1600 g2 machines supposed to have RPS and give alerts if one of the power supplies is missing?

I don't have anything in the logs that seems wrong... :(
Not really usefull for you guys, but I think I might have bricked my board by leaving it on my desk. When I fire the board up it says fan 1-4 failed and then it reboots.