HP X1600 G2 Storage Server $294 ($245 + $50 shipping)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
A little more digging turns up that the PN on the motherboard installed in this server doesn't match any of the PN's HP Partsurfer says should be there. The PN that's installed goes in HPs P4900 series of SSD storage servers...

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
That stinks. Probably explains the extreme noise too. On the HP servers the fan control logic is on the iLO (actually, that's true on most server motherboards where the BMC provides the fan control. iLO is just HP's brand name for their BMC). Without any fan control the fans will default to run full speed.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
Yeah, I know they have the right motherboard in stock, maybe they'll make it right, if not, I'll spend the $25 and be done with them.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
the dl180 motherboards have a crappy bios. Very limited and desktop like. even has boot sector virus protection (LOL).

the storage works have a standard hp bios.

maybe they put a dl180 motherboard without Lo100 in that case?

PersonalJ

May 17, 2013
I still haven't fired it up, but the response from the seller was that the iLO is an option that doesn't come with this server which, of course, isn't what all of the HP literature I've read says. Everything I've read has it as an option on the standard DL180 G6 motherboard.
The server has a dedicated management port so I'd assume it must have something, perhaps iLO100?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The server has a dedicated management port so I'd assume it must have something, perhaps iLO100?
If you look at the picture (post #18) you can see that the IO Shield has a cutout for a dedicated management port...but there is nothing there.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
Based on what HP Partsurfer says, the wrong motherboard is in this server, it's not a regular DL180 motherboard, it's in the SE1220 class but it's built for a P4900 SSD storage server. It's probably just as good a motherboard but I want the server specifically for the remote management capability. Has anyone bought Synergy's storageworks motherboard, it says iLO2 included, wonder if it really is? If it really is the part number they list, it should really have iLO2.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
the board I got has ilo2 , it's the reason I got the board.

The P4900 quick specs show ilo2. I know HP had some shared nic ilo2 crap, but that ends up crashing (hypervisors) more often than not. I end up not using the first port on servers that share (ilo/idrac). It's just a bad idea.

I wonder if that board has shared ilo2, with an optional doohickey for a dedicated port. IIRC i have a DL320 that had that. optional dedicated ilo2 port. only about $17 on ebay.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
That might be an option, but if the board they are selling has a real iLO2, I'll spend the $25 on that one.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The one I ordered just arrived today. On opening and inspection:

- Correct motherboard (with iLO2)
- iLO2 information/password tag hung on the back of the chassis
- No trays (but I didn't expect any). 10 blanks in front.
- Everything seems visually in order (knock on wood...I'll be firing it up with HPs smart-update CD image later tonight to test it).

Looks like I may have had better luck than Talsit. Sorry man. Do hope that Synergy makes it right for you.

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Good news so far.
- Boots to BIOS perfectly
- BIOS menus are Serverworks style, not Proliant
- iLO2 and P212 both have Advanced Feature keys already installed (bonus)
- Booted into Smart Update Manager fine - updating all firmware now.

Talsit - my money is on Synergy to make it right for you.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
yeah I know andrew over there if you PM me I can get his AIM to you or point him to this thread.

they are straight up guys, and have gone out of their way to find the most impossible hp parts for us.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Good news so far...
- iLO2 and P212 both have Advanced Feature keys already installed (bonus)
Nice! That is a good bonus. Too bad there seems to be a big delta between the experiences.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
I haven't given up on them yet, Zack from synergy contacted me yesterday and said the first response was wrong. Offered to swap the server out but I told him I'd send more pictures so they can figure out what's going on and maybe find a cheaper solution. On this rock bottom priced server another $100 of shipping would be very painful.

Good news on the iLO2 password tag. I've still got my fingers crossed.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
They responded today that it was an error on their part and they are working to make it right, glad I ask the questions though or I'd just have a broken server waiting to go to the recycling bin...

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Ask for Andrew @ Synergy - he will give you the time of day on AIM and has gone to great lengths to get me stuff that is impossible to find.

Just remember these guys are renew brokers and typically sell expensive crap. This stuff is the bottom of the barrel junk like their $295 8 port 8gbps FC switches - awesome deals but not huge margin. They can make more money selling HP renew in the amount of time you take up.

They are humans who work sales all day on commish.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
Ask for Andrew @ Synergy - he will give you the time of day on AIM and has gone to great lengths to get me stuff that is impossible to find.

Just remember these guys are renew brokers and typically sell expensive crap. This stuff is the bottom of the barrel junk like their $295 8 port 8gbps FC switches - awesome deals but not huge margin. They can make more money selling HP renew in the amount of time you take up.

They are humans who work sales all day on commish.
Thanks for that. I've been happy with the responses from them so far considering the low margin. They really are pretty great, the server came packed in the original box (matching serial numbers, etc) probably somebody along the line did a repair and just didn't use the right part. But they are happy to make it right, definitely adding them to one of my favorite e-bay stores.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Never mind - forgot about the EP bug in Memtest86+ 5.0 beta...used the old one and all is well.

Last edited:

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
Whew, my plan was similar to yours, dual 5639s and 48GB of RAM. Synergy is working to resolve my issue, shipping me a replacement board, once the drive trays come in I'll start tinkering.