HP WOL problems

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ray

Apr 24, 2016
PA
I have a HP Z420 motherboard in a different chassis that I use for a backup "server" running TrueNas Core 12, About a week ago I started having connection problems but I got done what I needed and didn't look into it. The next time was far worse and finally I couldn't connect at all. The onboard NIC has ceased to function. Now ordinarily that wouldn't be a big deal, I have a couple NICs in my parts box. However, I used the WOL function since the machine is a physically as far away from me as it could be and still be in the house. WOL just makes things easier.

For the life of me I just can't seem to get WOL to work on the NIC Cards. One card is a 2 port Intel Pro 1000 and the other is a Broadcom NetExtreme and both have WOL settings when you look at them using a windows machine. If it is possible to see these features in TrueNas I haven't figured that out yet. In any case, I can't get the HP motherboard to wake up using either card. The connection part to my network is fine. Since WOL takes place before the operating system it really shouldn't matter that It is a TrueNas box.

I'm sure somebody will tell me to ask HP and I might get there, I just don't fell like signing up quite yet. You folks here almost always provide the best info when I run into a problem so this is where I usually start. If you need any particular setting LMK.