HP V1910-24G-PoE input?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tullnd

Apr 19, 2016
USA
I'm sourcing a POE+ switch for a friend, for IP camera/AP use. Ideally he'd need at least a 16 port, as he'll have about 7 cams now, maybe a few more in the future, and a few AP's.

I'd consider a Fast Ethernet switch that supported POE+ and just route the AP's through his main data switch and use injectors, but I'm not having a lot of luck with finding easy to manage old gear that supports POE+ and is sub-$100.

I found this HP V1910-24G-POE for about $175 and was hoping to get it down to maybe $125. I had a 2810-24G I was pretty happy with. Any drawbacks to this setup other than maybe noise? It'll be mounted in a separate room, so noise is only a mild concern.

Or is there something else I should be looking for on Ebay that's not jumping out at me? Enterprise gear is not my forte, and I only consider stuff where I think the web UI stands a modest chance of being useable. I don't mind CLI personally, but I don't want to be stuck doing all the support for this in the future.

edit - nevermind...figured out only the JG539A 24 port model fully supports POE+, the other ones I was looking at don't. Perusing other old HP's now.

Last edited:

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
here's the fixed port POE+ models that should be able to be picked up for <200 on eBay fairly regularly.
v1910 (JG537A and JG539A)

There are multiple port configs for reach base model, some with poe, some with poe+

Generally the V1910's are the cheapest as they are only web managed. Also keep clear of the non-serial ones....units are likely hot. FWIW, POE+ gear hasn't been around long enough for organizations to replace their edge gear.

The other route you can go is SMB gear, Trendnet has a cheap 8-port POE+ (30w/port) model available for $129 new

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-GREENnet-Switching-Capacity-TPE-TG80g/dp/B008OJM0T8

Netgear has an 8-port with 4-ports being POE+ (53w/port) for $109
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-GS108PEv3-Power-over-Ethernet-Lifetime-Protection/dp/B00M1C03U2