HP ThinClient T620 GX-415GA 4-core (standard/slim, not Plus) -- $25/$35

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Are there any similar models like this x86 that will take a 3.5 drive at this price? They are like 1/2 the cost of an odroid HC2 with case and sd card at $35 and would make better nodes for gluster or moose fs than an odroid I think. But I need to use larger capacity of 3.5 spinners.
Since they have an sata port, you can always use an sata to esata cable to connect an external storage of any size. :)

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
So to give you some idea, I have a Wyse thin client that is basically identical to these except with only 4gb of ram and 32-bit win7e.

Cpu-wise, they're definitely a throwback as an older lga775 q6600 is almost twice as fast:
AMD GX-415GA SOC vs Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

Still, when you compare the thread performance to comparable atoms or other low powered processors, the only thing that's really changing is the power usage:
AMD GX-415GA SOC vs Intel Atom x7-Z8750 @ 1.60GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

I use my Wyse TC on the stock win7e to rdp into about 20+ other systems and to make nightly backups from various file servers to nas units. I'm actually using it right now. The cpu barely breaks a sweat doing all this work, so I feel pretty confident it can do much more, especially with a 64-bit os. Hope this is some food for thought.

Reactions: teafarer

teafarer

Jan 23, 2020
VA
So to give you some idea, I have a Wyse thin client that is basically identical to these except with only 4gb of ram and 32-bit win7e.

Cpu-wise, they're definitely a throwback as an older lga775 q6600 is almost twice as fast:
AMD GX-415GA SOC vs Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

Still, when you compare the thread performance to comparable atoms or other low powered processors, the only thing that's really changing is the power usage:
AMD GX-415GA SOC vs Intel Atom x7-Z8750 @ 1.60GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

I use my Wyse TC on the stock win7e to rdp into about 20+ other systems and to make nightly backups from various file servers to nas units. I'm actually using it right now. The cpu barely breaks a sweat doing all this work, so I feel pretty confident it can do much more, especially with a 64-bit os. Hope this is some food for thought.
Thanks for the insight. Half of a Q6600 or equivalent to a modern Atom, doesn't seem so bad. Though, wow 15w vs 4w on the Atom comparison, haha. I think that tells me that it's probably close to a Pi3 in performance and probably way behind a Pi4. But at least it gives me an idea of the use cases for it. It would definitely be plenty for my lower-end needs (digital signage, FTP, etc) if I want to go with its form factor.

Also really like that it's VESA 100 compatible as-is.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Thanks for the insight. Half of a Q6600 or equivalent to a modern Atom, doesn't seem so bad. Though, wow 15w vs 4w on the Atom comparison, haha. I think that tells me that it's probably close to a Pi3 in performance and probably way behind a Pi4. But at least it gives me an idea of the use cases for it. It would definitely be plenty for my lower-end needs (digital signage, FTP, etc) if I want to go with its form factor.

Also really like that it's VESA 100 compatible as-is.
Don't let the power consumption fool you--these processors still have some bite, that's for sure. Speed tests to my nas using the Wyse is the same speed as with my i5-2500k based system. It will work very well for digital signage, ftp, and even small programs. The best part is its complete silence as you can literally forget its there.

Reactions: fossxplorer

doughnet

Dec 24, 2018
Mine doesn’t hold os installs to the sata drive. Every time I unplug it ends up wiping the drive. I emailed them about it and they said others had the same issue. any thoughts?

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Mine doesn’t hold os installs to the sata drive. Every time I unplug it ends up wiping the drive. I emailed them about it and they said others had the same issue. any thoughts?
That's odd. The only thing I could think that would do that is if you were inside the os and the enhanced write filter was on so that nothing will stay permanently written.

doughnet

Dec 24, 2018
I tried multiple os (Ubuntu, alpine and ThinPro OS). I really like the ThinPro OS, since I plan on using this for a thin client actually.

all works fine and reboots okay but when I shutdown and unplug the device from power (to move it to a different location) it says it can’t find anything on a boot device.

kdub

May 20, 2019
I tried multiple os (Ubuntu, alpine and ThinPro OS). I really like the ThinPro OS, since I plan on using this for a thin client actually.

all works fine and reboots okay but when I shutdown and unplug the device from power (to move it to a different location) it says it can’t find anything on a boot device.
I'm guessing you'd have to look at the drive in another device to see if the data persists to rule out a faulty drive. Is it possible it's just something like a dead cmos battery causing some configuration loss at power loss?

doughnet

Dec 24, 2018
I'm guessing you'd have to look at the drive in another device to see if the data persists to rule out a faulty drive. Is it possible it's just something like a dead cmos battery causing some configuration loss at power loss?
vendor said others ended up having the same issue. Asked me to sit tight while they investigated.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

Very weird.
Yep, that's the test I would use.

You know, that sounds like exactly what a dead cmos battery would do as the cmos configuration wouldn't find a boot device until set up again. I'd try replacing the battery as that would be a cheap fix.
vendor said others ended up having the same issue. Asked me to sit tight while they investigated.
Solid. Glad they're on it.

teafarer

Jan 23, 2020
VA
Is this for the T620's specifically? I'm considering buying one now, as my RPi that I use for Pi-Hole just tanked. But the idea of the boot device disappearing on power loss is concerning.

I still need to troubleshoot more as to what happened to the RPi- might be a simple re-install, but it was headless and now is not booting up properly at all.

doughnet

Dec 24, 2018
Is this for the T620's specifically? I'm considering buying one now, as my RPi that I use for Pi-Hole just tanked. But the idea of the boot device disappearing on power loss is concerning.

I still need to troubleshoot more as to what happened to the RPi- might be a simple re-install, but it was headless and now is not booting up properly at all.
After I investigated a lot of different things I came to the conclusion the SSD drive was bad. Because I was able to install onto an USB drive and it’s been stable for 2 days even with unplugging.

I’ve been using rpi4 and 3 with thinlinx os (which is awesome) but to be honest this t620 performs a lot better in RDP watching videos without any lag,delay or audio sync issues. At work I have 16 rpi 3 setup as RDP clients for employee and it works great since they don’t watch videos (or shouldn’t be ...)

RMacguy82

Jan 21, 2020
After I investigated a lot of different things I came to the conclusion the SSD drive was bad. Because I was able to install onto an USB drive and it’s been stable for 2 days even with unplugging.
Definitely not you. I have 3 units that all did the exact same thing. Spent a couple hours reinstalling OSes and updating the bios to make sure it wasn’t anything that I could fix. I’m also waiting on the seller support people to reply.

doughnet

Dec 24, 2018
Definitely not you. I have 3 units that all did the exact same thing. Spent a couple hours reinstalling OSes and updating the bios to make sure it wasn’t anything that I could fix. I’m also waiting on the seller support people to reply.
tried using a usb to install an os on? Try it out to see if that resolves the issue too. Because I strongly think the SSD is the culprit.

also inside on the motherboard is an internal usb that I assume I could use a permanent usb for storage if need be.

RMacguy82

Jan 21, 2020
tried using a usb to install an os on? Try it out to see if that resolves the issue too. Because I strongly think the SSD is the culprit.

also inside on the motherboard is an internal usb that I assume I could use a permanent usb for storage if need be.
Yep, pulled the SSD and installed 2 thumb drives. One has EXSi 6.7 for boot , and the other is being used as a datastore. Checked on it yesterday and is still running fine with no issues. Using tmpfs to not kill the thumb drive in the VMs.

Reactions: Samir and teafarer

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Glad to hear this sounds like a fairly simple fix that the seller should take care of. :)

teafarer

Jan 23, 2020
VA
So it seems its the actual mSATA drives themselves, not some odd issue with the mSATA interface / IO system on the boards? Curious to see if a new / replacement mSATA fixes the issue or if USB will be necessary.

(Also, I didn't see anything really rule-wise about there being an issue with discussions like we're having here on this product, but I realize we're constantly bumping this thread to the top because of the useful discussion, hope that's not an issue)

csp-guy

Jun 26, 2019
Hungary, Budapest
I accidentally bought the non-plus version. How do you use it for anything with only one LAN port?
Hi,

It is good for silent and fast torrent box, and unifi controller, and radius server and internet pc, all in one. I have one, works fine. The other one is a mediaplayer using an infrared usb adapter. I plane to use as arcade machine emulator, too.

Reactions: Samir and teafarer

doughnet

Dec 24, 2018
Received replacement SSD today. Popped it in and installed thinpro os. Kept it unplugged for 15 mins then started it up ... all working great :)

very great box and price. Hope they have more soon; I’ll probably switch out all our Raspberry Pi thin clients to these.

Reactions: teafarer and Samir