HP ThinClient T620 GX-415GA 4-core (standard/slim, not Plus) -- $25/$35

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

VogonPogo

Apr 7, 2019
Ebay, same seller. 99.9% positive feedback.
Both 'variants' come with 8GB RAM & power supply. No OS. No wireless listed. Seller refurbished.

With 64GB SSD - $35 shipped (US)
HP Thin Client T620 | AMD GX-415GA 1.5GHz | 64GB SSD | 8GB RAM | NO OS | eBay
More than 10 available at time of posting.

No SSD - Some mech. damage - $25 shipped (US)
HP Thin Client T620 | AMD GX-415GA 1.5GHz | NO SSD | 8GB RAM | NO OS | eBay
4 available at time of posting.

No space for expansion, but with a USB-Ethernet adapter you could still use it as a firewall.
Or a firewall-on-a-stick with VLANs and a VLAN-capable switch.
Or a low-power ESXi or other virtualization host.

Some discussion on same device here:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ent-not-plus-w-amd-gx-415ga-33-or-less.24943/

csp-guy

Jun 26, 2019
Hungary, Budapest
Great deal, Thanks!

But i do not need more, i have 1 t620 and 1 t630, both are slim and 4 core cpu version.

It is great as silent internet box with ubuntu, and downloader pc and radius server and unify controller.

If you buy ir remote receiver (flirc) It is a great and fast media player, too.

Reactions: Samir

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
I know its a bunch more money ($120) but I have been buying HP 290-p0043w machines that have been flooding ebay. Example here.
They are 8th gen Intel dual core celerons with QuickSync that work really well at encoding/decoding video (22 1080p hw enc/hw dec plex streams. Idle at 17W. I bought three. Using one for pfsense bare metal added 16GB optane boot m.2 nvme and 4 port intel I350(replaced R220 saving a bunch of wattage), another as a dedicated plex server that connects to my NAS to serve/transcode content with quicksync and a third one I am using as a Blue Iris box with quicksync. These things should take any 8th/9th gen coffee lake cpu up to 65W (everything except "K" processors), have a m.2 Pcie slot + Pcie 16x + Pcie 1x (Expansion cards half height) + slim cdrom + 3.5 sata + wlan. They say refurbished, but look brand new.

csp-guy

Jun 26, 2019
Hungary, Budapest
I know its a bunch more money ($120) but I have been buying HP 290-p0043w machines that have been flooding ebay. Example here.
They are 8th gen Intel dual core celerons with QuickSync that work really well at encoding/decoding video (22 1080p hw enc/hw dec plex streams. Idle at 17W. I bought three. Using one for pfsense bare metal added 16GB optane boot m.2 nvme and 4 port intel I350(replaced R220 saving a bunch of wattage), another as a dedicated plex server that connects to my NAS to serve/transcode content with quicksync and a third one I am using as a Blue Iris box with quicksync. These things should take any 8th/9th gen coffee lake cpu up to 65W (everything except "K" processors), have a m.2 Pcie slot + Pcie 16x + Pcie 1x (Expansion cards half height) + slim cdrom + 3.5 sata + wlan. They say refurbished, but look brand new.
Not a bad catch, it is cheap in US.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Would you mind answering my questions?
Is the mother board mini itx or customized hp board?

Does the motherboard use regular atx pins?

, thanks

canta

Nov 26, 2014
There is a thread here that has lots of details on these boxes. That is a link to another forum, if that is not allowed, please delete or I can take it down asap.
Pretty neat and compact one.
Hp is pretty good making small compact one.

the most one is supporting gen 8/9 65w...
Buy today and update later to cpu to i5/i7 gen8/9 ..

thanks for the link!

RMacguy82

Jan 21, 2020
I bought a few of these and have some feedback. These come with 2 DDR3L 4GB so-dimms and a mini PCI-E wireless adaptor. The RAM can be changed at with standard DDR3 so-dimms ( I swapped them with my MacBook Pro) They are fanless but do have a pad to solder on a fan header. The included MSata 64GB ssd ( at least in mine) does not work. After installing the OS , if you power down the drive the system will not boot. Boot in back into an OS from USB will show that it is not formatted. Anyone have a similar issue ?

kdub

May 20, 2019
I bought a few of these and have some feedback. These come with 2 DDR3L 4GB so-dimms and a mini PCI-E wireless adaptor. The RAM can be changed at with standard DDR3 so-dimms ( I swapped them with my MacBook Pro) They are fanless but do have a pad to solder on a fan header. The included MSata 64GB ssd ( at least in mine) does not work. After installing the OS , if you power down the drive the system will not boot. Boot in back into an OS from USB will show that it is not formatted. Anyone have a similar issue ?
I bought a couple of the $25 damaged units with no drives. I don't actually see any damage though. Picked up a couple 32gb mSata for ~$15. Slightly annoyed once I opened the case to find it's actually an M.2 slot. Looks like it supports 40, 60, and 80 lengths. Nice enough to include the standoff and screw though. Haven't received the new drives yet.

Sticker says t620 rev B. mSata aside, appears to be the same unit you have with 2x4GB DDR3L and mini pcie wifi+bt card. The manual claims only DDR3L should be used. Seems like you have proved them wrong. Might want to double check voltage in the bios. Wouldn't be surprised if running 1.5v sticks at 1.35v leads to stability issues.

For reference: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04046809

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Great deal, Thanks!

But i do not need more, i have 1 t620 and 1 t630, both are slim and 4 core cpu version.

It is great as silent internet box with ubuntu, and downloader pc and radius server and unify controller.

If you buy ir remote receiver (flirc) It is a great and fast media player, too.
I accidentally bought the non-plus version. How do you use it for anything with only one LAN port?

kdub

May 20, 2019
I accidentally bought the non-plus version. How do you use it for anything with only one LAN port?
These were all non plus. Depends on what you want to do. 1 port probably won't work for pfsense unless you can get away with the on board wifi serving Lan. You could also use a USB dongle bandwidth allowing.

I use these in audio/video racks to remotely monitor and interact with the equipment through vpn. Another use case is using it as a VPN router for specific devices on the network. For example, a client has a Roku and wants to watch dodger games on mlb but they're only available outside the u.s. You don't want the entire network routing through Mexico and Netflix won't work with the VPN. So I drop one in the rack, connect the Roku via wifi, and integrate with the automation system to activate /deactivate the VPN based on activity.

RMacguy82

Jan 21, 2020
I bought a couple of the $25 damaged units with no drives. I don't actually see any damage though. Picked up a couple 32gb mSata for ~$15. Slightly annoyed once I opened the case to find it's actually an M.2 slot. Looks like it supports 40, 60, and 80 lengths. Nice enough to include the standoff and screw though. Haven't received the new drives yet.

Sticker says t620 rev B. mSata aside, appears to be the same unit you have with 2x4GB DDR3L and mini pcie wifi+bt card. The manual claims only DDR3L should be used. Seems like you have proved them wrong. Might want to double check voltage in the bios. Wouldn't be surprised if running 1.5v sticks at 1.35v leads to stability issues.

For reference: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04046809
It seems to be stable so far. It is running EXSi 6.7 with only a single Linux VM. I needed a silent solid state virtual machine host to run some some services at my parents house ( ad blocking and VPN mostly). I might stress test it next weekend and see if it crashes.

teafarer

Jan 23, 2020
VA
Curious about the performance of one of these vs. an RPi3 or RPi4. It may seem odd, but I almost prefer this form factor over an RPi and I like that these are also fanless. Difficult to compare ARM vs x86 in benchmarks or find any kind of meaningful comparisons.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Are there any similar models like this x86 that will take a 3.5 drive at this price? They are like 1/2 the cost of an odroid HC2 with case and sd card at $35 and would make better nodes for gluster or moose fs than an odroid I think. But I need to use larger capacity of 3.5 spinners.

RMacguy82

Jan 21, 2020
Curious about the performance of one of these vs. an RPi3 or RPi4. It may seem odd, but I almost prefer this form factor over an RPi and I like that these are also fanless. Difficult to compare ARM vs x86 in benchmarks or find any kind of meaningful comparisons.
I agree with the form factor opinion. I like the fact they are slim and resemble a stb vs. pc. What type of benchmarks are you interested in ?

teafarer

Jan 23, 2020
VA
I agree with the form factor opinion. I like the fact they are slim and resemble a stb vs. pc. What type of benchmarks are you interested in ?
I suppose my use case will never require heavy CPU usage anyway (would use it for Pi-hole style blocking + dedicated Unifi controller, maybe other light stuff, like an internal FTP for testing).

I guess I mainly just wanted an idea of if going from an RPi3b to one of these would technically be a step down or up in terms of the general performance of the platform (CPU, Networking, USB). Same with RPi4 since RPi4 is a huge upgrade over 3b.

These also would be quicker/easier to just throw at a problem/need, because they've already got the case/AC adapter/etc, no need for kits and all that like the RPis and they're very inexpensive. Of course, if I need a ton of headroom/power in this form factor, I'd be better off with a NUC or used HP G1/G2/etc Mini or a Tiny ThinkStation.

But $30-50, ready to put to use, and fanless is very appealing, but I don't want to entertain the idea if the performance is rough. These are cheap enough that I suppose I should buy one and benchmark/test it out myself, eh? :)