HP T740 Thin Client Review TinyMiniMicro with PCIe Slot

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rahlquist

Jul 18, 2022
Hey yall, does anyone happen to know the part number(s) for the Serial option part(s)? Haven't managed to find a HP parts list for this product yet.

The 3TK82AA appears like it may work connection wise, just no good panel (easily fabricated) HP Internal Serial Port (600/705/800) - 3TK82AA - Audio & Video Cables - CDW.com

Nope too many pins. So few pictures of the internals of this too. Hard to find an accidental photo of the board.

EDIT: found the part number for the plastic panel but not the serial module itself in the disassmebly doc from the original thread here. (had to use the URL to get the PDF from archive.org)

If anyone has a T740 with the serial port option it looks like the module may have a tag on the cable, can you please get the part # off of it? 2022-07-20 15_45_30-Wayback Machine — Mozilla Firefox.png

Last edited:

Martco

Aug 24, 2022
en la placa madre solo quite el jumper que dice "PSWRD" reinicie y listo ya lo hice ahora necesito saber como actualizar la bios ya que el sistema operativo que tiene es ubuntu y quiero instalar windows 10 si encuentras como te lo agradecere me avisas, saludos.

bryan_v

Nov 5, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
www.linkedin.com
Need a quick sanity check ConnectX-3 temps (maybe @WANg if you still have your T740 with a CX3 installed): What temp does mget_temp_ext output from a CX3 when installed in a HP T740, without any extra fans bolted to the chassis for airflow?

The MCX354 I have installed in my Lenovo m720q is reporting 81C and I'm trying to see if eliminating the 10G SFP+ module in one of the ports will bring it to a reasonable level or if I have to trade down to a T740 (the other port has a 10G DAC and is stone cold).

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Need a quick sanity check ConnectX-3 temps (maybe @WANg if you still have your T740 with a CX3 installed): What temp does mget_temp_ext output from a CX3 when installed in a HP T740, without any extra fans bolted to the chassis for airflow?

The MCX354 I have installed in my Lenovo m720q is reporting 81C and I'm trying to see if eliminating the 10G SFP+ module in one of the ports will bring it to a reasonable level or if I have to trade down to a T740 (the other port has a 10G DAC and is stone cold).
I switched my CX3's out to Supermicro aoc-stgn-i2s rev 2 cards as they are smaller and run cooler for me :)

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY

I still do (MCX354A-FCBT, in fact), but mine is on VMWare ESXi 6.5, so I have no idea what the temps are like. Probably around 70-75C or so, since I only have passive 40GbE DACs in there and it's not usually stressed at all.

Originalus

Dec 22, 2020
Did anyone have tried OpenWrt on it? I can`t get it working. Neither from usb or nvme. It starts and gets stuck at OpenWrt Booting after grub menu.
Installed proxmox on nvme and it works perfectly.
Bios is updated to the latest version 1.15

Originalus

Dec 22, 2020
@OriginalHutch How are you "installing" OpenWRT on the device?
Rufus on usb flash drive and dd command from linux to nvme. The same Usb flash drive with openwrt boots on my regular desktop.
usb flash drive with Gparted boots on T740 without any issues. So issue with openwrt boot from usb flash drive or nvme, unfortunately i dont have sata on hand.

Last edited:

Originalus

Dec 22, 2020
Found the cause and it is ttyS0. If i remove it from startup, openwrt runs. As i understand ttyS0 is physical serial, but my T740 does not have it and there is no option in bios to disable it. Though manual states it should be here.

Solution for bare metal Openwrt on T740 for me (removed console=ttyS0,115200n8):

menuentry "OpenWrt" {
linux /boot/vmlinuz root=PARTUUID=bf7a017b-4794-7eeb-750b-7774328fbd02 rootwait console=tty0 noinitrd
}
menuentry "OpenWrt (failsafe)" {
linux /boot/vmlinuz failsafe=true root=PARTUUID=bf7a017b-4794-7eeb-750b-7774328fbd02 rootwait console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 noinitrd
}

Last edited:

rahlquist

Jul 18, 2022
Found the cause and it is ttyS0. If i remove it from startup, openwrt runs. As i understand ttyS0 is physical serial, but my T740 does not have it and there is no option in bios to disable it. Though manual states it should be here.

}
Yep same thing happens with pfsense and/or bsd. I saw the email notification and came over to share that tidbit. I wish we could buy the connector but trust me I tried everything possible to source once.

The connection is on the board but no pinout available..

Here is the pfsense instructions if anyone ever needs them. FreeBSD (or pfSense/OPNsense) on the HP t740 Thin Client - Neel Chauhan

Great machines, I have a Mellanox CX312B dual 10Gb in mine, with one connection 2.5Gb to my 1.2Gb broadband and the other side 10Gb to my Aruba switch. Rock solid.