HP T730 Thin Client $114.99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hk92doom

Jun 4, 2020
Same seller as for the other deal on "T620 Plus" also has T730 model for sale. No hard drive, no AC adapter.
More than 10 available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
These units originally came with WES7P, so you should be able to image them back to that if you want:

Seems like win 10 might even be an option too.

Reactions: hk92doom

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
These units originally came with WES7P, so you should be able to image them back to that if you want:

While you could always buy your own Win10 license and install, sadly if you'd like to use HP's images you must have purchased the unit with a Win10 license.
I'm not aware of a way to purchase such a license from HP at a later date (most probably - that's due to how Win10 licensing works - the only way for the OEM to get the license for super cheap is if the machine comes with it preinstalled...)

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
While you could always buy your own Win10 license and install, sadly if you'd like to use HP's images you must have purchased the unit with a Win10 license.
I'm not aware of a way to purchase such a license from HP at a later date (most probably - that's due to how Win10 licensing works - the only way for the OEM to get the license for super cheap is if the machine comes with it preinstalled...)
Eeh, for home use in a “non-production” context, there’s almost no difference between licensed win10 and not. When I install Windows for testing purposes I don’t have them activated.

However, for home lab environments you can typically get away with an MSDN platform subscription through work (assuming your workplace has a Microsoft volume licensing agreement).

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY

I don’t think WES7p machines get a freebie upgrade to win10 IoT. Well, there are ways to do it, and if you got MSDN Platform and have a key management server (KMS) and a Win10 Enterprise pool “somewhere”, then yeah, you can do it. Otherwise...no.

Last edited:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Interesting. I would think if they offer up the images for win10 for the unit then they would just activate and work. Or would they simply remain unactivated?

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
Interesting. I would think if they offer up the images for win10 for the unit then they would just activate and work. Or would they simply remain unactivated?
Wish it were the case. I've tried it on my nodes. No dice.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
@int0x2e Have you tried the free upgrade method from Win7? I think it still works on most computers. Search it but, it is basically put windows 7 on it then make install media (USB is what I have always done) from Microsoft's tool on its site. Reboot into usb media and choose to upgrade current install. Obviously might have some driver issues but might work. I am pretty sure I have upgraded bios emedded Win7 licenses from OEM computers like that in past.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
@int0x2e Have you tried the free upgrade method from Win7? I think it still works on most computers. Search it but, it is basically put windows 7 on it then make install media (USB is what I have always done) from Microsoft's tool on its site. Reboot into usb media and choose to upgrade current install. Obviously might have some driver issues but might work. I am pretty sure I have upgraded bios emedded Win7 licenses from OEM computers like that in past.
This would be great because they have all the win10 drivers available in a single download pack.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
That's because Win10 and Win10 IoT are different products (the latter uses an older codebase) and unless it's tattooed to the hardware, it's deployed with a volume license like Win7/10 Enterprise, and unlike regular 7, you can't roll it to 10 for free with a tattooed entitlement upgrade. The implication is that unless you have volume licensing for the 10 upgrade seats, the hardware lives and dies with 7 embedded/enterprise.

You can try to migrate it to 10 (note: the thinImage URL is out of date and doesn't resolve, use your Google-Fu), but unless you have a valid KMS, it'll not actiivate.

Last edited:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
That's because Win10 and Win10 IoT are different products (the latter uses an older codebase) and unless it's tattooed to the hardware, it's deployed with a volume license like Win7/10 Enterprise, and unlike regular 7, you can't roll it to 10 for free with a tattooed entitlement upgrade. The implication is that unless you have volume licensing for the 10 upgrade seats, the hardware lives and dies with 7 embedded/enterprise.

You can try to migrate it to 10 (note: the thinImage URL is out of date and doesn't resolve, use your Google-Fu), but unless you have a valid KMS, it'll not actiivate.
Great information! Thank you for the post!