HP T730 8GB RAM 32GB Storage Thin Client

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hk92doom

Jun 4, 2020
Possibly another flood of T730 units on the fleabay. More than was 10 available.

The listing was removed after several hours. Price was good at $144.99 + Free Shipppin. Let's wait and see if they show up again.

Reactions: Samir

hk92doom

Jun 4, 2020
This computer does not show up in regular searches because it is placed in a different category.
If you don't mind a broken plastic clip on the back panel.
Edit: The item is gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

HTS1

Dec 26, 2019
For some odd reason, the ebay search results have not been returning anything lower than 140-150 range for used which still had various issues (missing power adapter or bios locked). I got lucky and purchased my first one last December from someone for $150 new-in-box. Somehow going through a google search, I had found one for $120-130 and put it into my shopping cart on the ebay site. But, never checked out. About a week later, the seller then apparently dropped the price by $10 or $20 and I got a ebay email about -- so, I finalized my purchase. Maybe they weren't paying for ebay keywords or hits ... thus, never showing up in my search results (???).

In case anyone is looking for one, here's the seller's link for $110 + $13 shipping. They did send me a 65w adapter (4 beeps and red flashes) which didn't work but they fixed that up with the replacement 85w adapter shipped to me in a few days (haven't tested yet as of this writing).

Last edited:
Reactions: Marsh

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I am thinking about this one to use as pfsense. Does it has an expansion slot for second nic?
The descriptions is not that clear and I do not trust the pics.

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
I am thinking about this one to use as pfsense. Does it has an expansion slot for second nic?
It's in the very first post of this thread

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
Here is a real pic of mine :)

1597933646099.png

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Thanks,
I am using Dell p58 right now.
But it is under powered.
I want to see if this thin client will have enough juse to run a simple pfsense or opensense to provide a 1gb routing.
I am on Verizon FiOS now with 1gb linkup yet some clients are staggering now and than.

It maybe because I run pfsense in Proxmox on that machine. I want to try to reinage it with pfsense on bare metal but I need a backup machine to keep working.

HTS1

Dec 26, 2019
What is a Dell p58? I can't find a reference for it. I'm running my pfsense in a vm on esxi (2 vcpu, 2GB ram) and I currently have no issues maxing out my fios bw subscription at 300mb (200mb service level actually but i'm getting 300mb up/down testing) ... you should likely have no issues using a t730 bare bones for this purpose. cpu and ram hardly get up to 50% during the test. if i remember correctly, my internal tests between vlans, I was able to get near the max 1gb speed (at that time, the vm did have 4GB of ram).

Thanks,
I am using Dell p58 right now.
But it is under powered.
I want to see if this thin client will have enough juse to run a simple pfsense or opensense to provide a 1gb routing.
I am on Verizon FiOS now with 1gb linkup yet some clients are staggering now and than.

It maybe because I run pfsense in Proxmox on that machine. I want to try to reinage it with pfsense on bare metal but I need a backup machine to keep working.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
What is a Dell p58? I can't find a reference for it. I'm running my pfsense in a vm on esxi (2 vcpu, 2GB ram) and I currently have no issues maxing out my fios bw subscription at 300mb (200mb service level actually but i'm getting 300mb up/down testing) ... you should likely have no issues using a t730 bare bones for this purpose. cpu and ram hardly get up to 50% during the test. if i remember correctly, my internal tests between vlans, I was able to get near the max 1gb speed (at that time, the vm did have 4GB of ram).
Sorry, it is not Dell. It is Lenovo p58 series sff desktop
It is old..

Last edited:

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Eh..I have an entire resource written here in addition to 2 threads about this machine itself...

Reactions: mimino

bjamm

Jan 24, 2019
Just bought the one posted for $109 plus shipping; comes with 32gb ssd and 8gb ram; Should work nicely as a opnsense box next to my unraid server.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Mine got delivered today with 1.07 BIOS (which I upgraded to 1.15) and Windows 7 Embedded. Since I'm still waiting for my quad NIC to be delivered so that I can install pfSense, I successfully ran Windows 10 To Go, Ubuntu and ESXi 6.7 off USB sticks.

I also opened it to take a look and used compressed air to clean the fan while the cover was off :)

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Just bought the one posted for $109 plus shipping; comes with 32gb SSD and 8gb ram; Should work nicely as an opnsense box next to my unraid server.
Which eBay user did you buy it from?

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Today I got the chance to get a number of smart plugs with power monitoring calibrated and subsequently measure the power draw running pfSense. It is lightly loaded and pulling 21W from the wall with or without a display connected.

I could have sworn someone reported a power draw difference with and without displays but can't find the reference any more.

igotserved

Sep 2, 2020
received HP-T730 today and having some issues installing Ubuntu and Proxmox on the m.2 SSD drive. When installing Ubuntu, I was only able to use it after the first reboot. If I shutdown and restart T730, I got No boot disk error. Then I tried to install Proxmox, at the end I got the error 'Unable to install the EFI boot loader on '/dev/sda'.

Was it a bad drive, or is some BIOS settings needed to install Ubuntu/Proxmox properly? I am on BIOS version 1.15

Update: In BIOS, the SSD drive is listed under 'Legacy Boot Order'. Is it possible to make it appear under 'UEFI Boot Order'?
Update 2: Defaulted the BIOS settings and the SSD drive now appears under UEFI, and proxmox installation was now working.
Update 3: Argh! After power off and on T730, I now get 'Boot Device Not Found' error. Press 'F9' to choose boot device and the SSD was not listed in the UEFI boot source. Press 'F10' into BIOS setup and the SSD is listed there. Did a disk diagnostic check and it passed 100%. BIOS Secure boot is turned off, Legacy Boot Source is turned off. Anyone encountered this issue?

Last edited:

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
received HP-T730 today and having some issues installing Ubuntu and Proxmox on the m.2 SSD drive. When installing Ubuntu, I was only able to use it after the first reboot. If I shutdown and restart T730, I got No boot disk error. Then I tried to install Proxmox, at the end I got the error 'Unable to install the EFI boot loader on '/dev/sda'.

Was it a bad drive, or is some BIOS settings needed to install Ubuntu/Proxmox properly? I am on BIOS version 1.15

Update: In BIOS, the SSD drive is listed under 'Legacy Boot Order'. Is it possible to make it appear under 'UEFI Boot Order'?
Update 2: Defaulted the BIOS settings and the SSD drive now appears under UEFI, and proxmox installation was now working.
Update 3: Argh! After power off and on T730, I now get 'Boot Device Not Found' error. Press 'F9' to choose boot device and the SSD was not listed in the UEFI boot source. Press 'F10' into BIOS setup and the SSD is listed there. Did a disk diagnostic check and it passed 100%. BIOS Secure boot is turned off, Legacy Boot Source is turned off. Anyone encountered this issue?
Very likely a bad SSD. Grab a newer SATA m.2 drive (even a cheap QLC) and it should work fine on it. Those factory standard SSDs are mean to be cheap, designed with rather limited write cycle counts and not meant to last beyond a typical 3 year warranty - this would normally be handled by industrial DiskOnModules (DOMs) on earlier iterations. At least HP didn’t do the inane thing of embedding eMMC like Dell Wyse or Igel.

Both HP ThinPro and HP’s Win10 IoT thin client builds are designed to run off RAM (with copy-on-write filesystems) and have write disablement utilities to conserve on their SSD service life. Even then those should only be seen as similar in write cycles as embedded SD cards.

Last edited:

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
I hadn't thought of the poor write endurance vulnerability and will add a M.2 SATA drive to my Prime Day/Black Friday list