HP T730 8GB RAM 32GB Storage Thin Client

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Any idea where to get them? I searched on eBay but all I see is RP-SMA extension cables.
I also wonder if I could simply drill two holes for RP-SMA connectors in that small backplate piece that covers the fiber output. It's pretty tight there but they should fit.

Do you know the t740 pricing yet? Are you gonna get it straight from HP?
Something like this - and unless you absolutely need the benefit of external antenna(s), I wouldn't bother.
Lowest pricing starts at around 620 USD or so (my channel partner tosses me a bone), but I want to take a look at some of the SKUs and maybe get a loaner unit first before I pull the trigger. I want a t740, but I also want to spend my money wisely.

cromo

Jun 6, 2019
then run the Hirose UF.L connectors back to the WiFi card.
FYI, the M.2 cards use MHF-4 connectors, not UF.L, so the antenna set you recommended is actually incompatible with the M.2 Intel 8260ngw that I have. So you need something like this instead.

cromo

Jun 6, 2019
I am having trouble enabling the VFs on I350-t4 I have installed. The passthrough actually works fine, but I am getting "Cannot allocate memory" when trying to set the VFs to non-zero value. Also seeing
Code:
can't enable 4 VFs (bus 02 out of range of [bus 01])
in dmesg.

Any idea what's wrong here?

The cmd line is:
Code:
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.0.21-2-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet amd_iommu=on iommu=pt radeon.bapm
BIOS is the most recent one, version: L43 v01.15

EDIT:

OK, I found in another thread that the "pci=assign-busses" needs to be added to kernel cmd line.

Last edited:
Reactions: arglebargle

steky9

Nov 4, 2019
Was tearing my hair out using this device for pfSense with the Realtek port failing any time there was a high traffic load, before I found the post showing how to upgrade the realtek driver. It has made a very noticeable difference.

I'm now thinking if I upgraded the BIOS from the ancient version it has installed (1.04) to the newest version available (1.15) it might improve even further. Whats the quickest method to do that though? As far as I can see the download to upgrade it from the HP website is only available as a Windows exe. So I'm thinking if I install windows to a usb thumb drive, download and run the upgrade package etc that would be the easiest method. Is there any flaw with that method that I can't think of and is there an easier alternative?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I'm not sure about this particular model so ymmv, but a lot of times the windows exe is actually to make a bootable usb drive to do the update, so you can run the update in a windows vm on some machine to create the usb and then just use that to update it. :)

steky9

Nov 4, 2019
By running the exe in a VM I can extract the BIOS firmware Blob, but on Linux systems it seems to require the application 'ami-flash' to be able to install it. A quick google search didn't throw up any description of how to install that ami-flash application on pfsense, and I'm somewhat wary of it going awry and turning the device into a brick.

So I'm downloading an image to recover it to an embedded Windows10 version which I'll install to a USB thumb drive and do it that way. I hexed myself by saying updating the driver had made a noticeable difference, as almost immediately afterwards that interface became unstable, and I've had to revert back to older hardware running pfsense that I happily kept rather than flog.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
ami-flash sounds like the same old dos program that's been used for eons. Man, floppy drive bios updates back in the day seem like a breeze compared to this...

M_server

Nov 10, 2019
Just scored one of these for very cheap on my local CL, seems like a really nice little box. Only issue I'm seeing is the sound- the adapter has a pretty annoying coil whine. Does anyone else have this issue or maybe I just got a bad one?

If so what model charger should I be looking to replace it with?

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Just scored one of these for very cheap on my local CL, seems like a really nice little box. Only issue I'm seeing is the sound- the adapter has a pretty annoying coil whine. Does anyone else have this issue or maybe I just got a bad one?

If so what model charger should I be looking to replace it with?
What is the model number of the adapter you already have and it's voltage and ampage specs? It should be 19.5V and over 4A (85w).

From some general searches it seems like Y3U70AA#ABA is the genuine HP part and is around $55-60:
HP - power adapter - 85 Watt - Y3U70AA#ABA - Internal Power Supplies - CDW.com
PROVANTAGE: HP Y3U70AA#ABA TC 85W P/S & Cable
https://www.zones.com/site/product/index.html?id=104723317

M_server

Nov 10, 2019
What is the model number of the adapter you already have and it's voltage and ampage specs? It should be 19.5V and over 4A (85w).

From some general searches it seems like Y3U70AA#ABA is the genuine HP part and is around $55-60:
Yeah its the 85W one, different model number though- this ebay auction matches 843233-001 / 929818-003 P/S 85W TC14 EPS 89% EFF 19.5V PIXAR | eBay.

Just want to see from other people if they have this issue before I go and buy another and have it sound exactly the same.

The barrel plug also looks like it may have some commonality with HP laptop chargers, so was wondering about using one of those as well.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Just for curiosity, where do you guys use these clients? I've experimented with these in the past but they seem to have fallen out of practicality compared to NUCs' form factor and the amount of free software you cannot run when running virtualised Windows Server.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yeah its the 85W one, different model number though- this ebay auction matches 843233-001 / 929818-003 P/S 85W TC14 EPS 89% EFF 19.5V PIXAR | eBay.

Just want to see from other people if they have this issue before I go and buy another and have it sound exactly the same.

The barrel plug also looks like it may have some commonality with HP laptop chargers, so was wondering about using one of those as well.
That may be the problem. The 843233-001 matches the 65w model and the 929818-003 number seems to be some sort of european number. I suspect a bit of fraud where someone slaps on an 85w label on a 65w power supply (or fake) to get more money. And it would make sense if you're getting noise if the adapter is 65w and it needs 85w.

I think you would do good if you can find a local genuine hp laptop charger as they're basically the same thing unless they're using some sort of 'smart plug' tech to make sure that the charger is being connected to a laptop. Too bad I'm not near the Deerfield, IL goodwill anymore as they had genuine adapters all day long for 99 cents. :)

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Just for curiosity, where do you guys use these clients? I've experimented with these in the past but they seem to have fallen out of practicality compared to NUCs' form factor and the amount of free software you cannot run when running virtualised Windows Server.
I don't have a t730, but I generally use my thin clients as rdp clients so that I don't have to be near all the equipment I use. :D Nothing like having pin drop silence while all the servers and computers are not even in earshot blowing away at full speed. :)

Reactions: Rand__

josh

Oct 21, 2013
I don't have a t730, but I generally use my thin clients as rdp clients so that I don't have to be near all the equipment I use. :D Nothing like having pin drop silence while all the servers and computers are not even in earshot blowing away at full speed. :)
What OS do you virtualize? Every software on Windows gets jacked up to commercial pricing the moment it detects the OS as Server. Licensing issues for virtualized OS seem to be a problem with non-server OS. Not to mention CAL for RDP. Unless you guys don't pay for your licenses :eek:

M_server

Nov 10, 2019
That may be the problem. The 843233-001 matches the 65w model and the 929818-003 number seems to be some sort of european number. I suspect a bit of fraud where someone slaps on an 85w label on a 65w power supply (or fake) to get more money. And it would make sense if you're getting noise if the adapter is 65w and it needs 85w.

I think you would do good if you can find a local genuine hp laptop charger as they're basically the same thing unless they're using some sort of 'smart plug' tech to make sure that the charger is being connected to a laptop. Too bad I'm not near the Deerfield, IL goodwill anymore as they had genuine adapters all day long for 99 cents. :)
Looks like a US model- looked up the serial and says it has activated less than a month ago and warranty is good through 2022. Considering going to just warranty the charger but it's unclear if HP lets it transfer.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
What OS do you virtualize? Every software on Windows gets jacked up to commercial pricing the moment it detects the OS as Server. Licensing issues for virtualized OS seem to be a problem with non-server OS. Not to mention CAL for RDP. Unless you guys don't pay for your licenses :eek:
I haven't virtualized yet. :oops: I literally have 40+ computers whirring away. :eek:

I've been looking at putting proxmox on the systems that are beefy enough for it, but don't know how it would treat an actual boot drive vs a virtual one. Would sound kinda stupid to just make a vhd of an actual drive just to use it with a hypervisor.

As far as licensing for software, everything I'm using is either abandonware or opensource projects so no licensing per se. But my work is also pretty simple--look at pdf scans and action/file accordingly.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
OMG! Is at your work or "home lab" all these are at?

I haven't virtualized yet. :oops: I literally have 40+ computers whirring away. :eek:

I've been looking at putting proxmox on the systems that are beefy enough for it, but don't know how it would treat an actual boot drive vs a virtual one. Would sound kinda stupid to just make a vhd of an actual drive just to use it with a hypervisor.

As far as licensing for software, everything I'm using is either abandonware or opensource projects so no licensing per se. But my work is also pretty simple--look at pdf scans and action/file accordingly.

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
Don't own a T730 but a DFI version of AMD RX-427BB with 16G of RAM running pfSense, Unifi controller, xpenology (synology surveillance station) and Home Automation under proxmox with average CPU utilization at 15% and RAM at 64%. Hasn't "fallen out of practicality" for me, far from it.

Reactions: Samir