HP SSD not supported by raid controller

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

R.Zoli

Sep 5, 2015
Hi!

I have a HP HITX5541904-A SSD. This is truly a Hitachi HGST HUSSL4040ASS drive. I want to use it with my adaptec 71605 raid controller, but the controller initialize the drive as "not supported currently on this raid card"

What can I do? Use it with a HP Raid controller? Is there any HP raid card what work in a a non HP system? Or can I flash a new firmware to the drive? Has anyone a good idea?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The SSD my have a tweaked HP firmware on it or it could be that the Adaptec card's firmware doesn't support it. I would upgrade the Adaptec firmware first, if there's an update available for it, and go from there. Have you checked the disk with another controller?

R.Zoli

Sep 5, 2015
The SSD my have a tweaked HP firmware on it or it could be that the Adaptec card's firmware doesn't support it. I would upgrade the Adaptec firmware first, if there's an update available for it, and go from there. Have you checked the disk with another controller?

Yes with a lsi 9270 but it freeze with the drive in the raid bios starting... Yes the drive has a hp firmware...

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Therein lies your issue I suspect. Is it possible to flash the disk with the equivalent Hitachi Firmware? It might be worth investigating, alternatively, maybe get your hands on a genuuuwine HP card. It definitely sounds like the drive is locked in to HP gear. Loads of the other members here have much more experience of these issues than I do, hopefully one of them will have a better idea of how to help you :)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
FWIW - I have HP HGST SSD they work fine with M1015 in IT mode, and SATA on normal SATA ports... no issues here.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
FWIW - I have HP HGST SSD they work fine with M1015 in IT mode, and SATA on normal SATA ports... no issues here.
Have you tried any of your disks in IR mode with something other than an HP card? I still think it's likely some tweak in the firmware on his disk, most probably timing related or something along those lines and the Adaptec etc is choking on it. Of course, it's also possible that the disk is actually banjaxed :D
You did bring up one good point though, @R.Zoli have you tested the disk on a standard commoner garden SATA port and confirmed it's health?

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
@Patriot Good call. I read that very thread a few days ago and it never even occurred to me that could be the op's issue :)
While the SA group may have been annoying and covered up smart info, they never blocked compatibility.
HPD (ala 3par) are dicks... so bad drive, or bad format. But it should work with anything.

R.Zoli

Sep 5, 2015
While the SA group may have been annoying and covered up smart info, they never blocked compatibility.
HPD (ala 3par) are dicks... so bad drive, or bad format. But it should work with anything.

What does it mean it should work with anything?after low level format ? Or with other card? I like this card , lot better than the 9270 LSI... If it's possible that I use this SSD with this card?

The biggest problem is that I can't configure it in raid bios because the card can not initialize the disk, than how can I make a low level format? Second problem is that I can not find a utility which ca update the firmware on this drive....

What should I first to try?

I have 2 of these drives...Non of them works ,just the "hard drive currently not supported with this raid card"....

R.Zoli

Sep 5, 2015
Have you tried any of your disks in IR mode with something other than an HP card? I still think it's likely some tweak in the firmware on his disk, most probably timing related or something along those lines and the Adaptec etc is choking on it. Of course, it's also possible that the disk is actually banjaxed :D
You did bring up one good point though, @R.Zoli have you tested the disk on a standard commoner garden SATA port and confirmed it's health?
It's a SAS drive. I can not use it on a single sata controller...

The config is:

Asus X99 Rampage 5 extreme
Xeon 2678 V3 12 core 2.5 Ghz
32 GB DDR4 2666Mhz
Adaptec 71605

I have some other SSD's ,no problem with those SSD's... I have 2 another HUSSL4040ASS drives but no problem at all...

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
If this doesn't work than I must find a HP raid card and try with that? HP raid cards works in non-HP desktop boards?
No... only that will work. HP raid cards are by the SA group... only the 3par guys are dicks about disk formatting. P420 won't know what the hell that thing is.

R.Zoli

Sep 5, 2015
No... only that will work. HP raid cards are by the SA group... only the 3par guys are dicks about disk formatting. P420 won't know what the hell that thing is.
Ok. Sorry for the too much question!

Can I try with LSI 9270 or adaptec 71605 under linux with sg tool? Or it's pointless?

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
If the LSI can be put into HBA mode, you can use that, otherwise you need an HBA to pass the devices to the OS for SG to work on it.

R.Zoli

Sep 5, 2015
If the LSI can be put into HBA mode, you can use that, otherwise you need an HBA to pass the devices to the OS for SG to work on it.

Ok, I try to configure in the 9270's bios. It's an IBM card with optional raid+cacje modul. Maxbe if I remove the cache modul from the card...