HP Smart Array P410 and SATA2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Blubster

Feb 25, 2014
Also I pickup the P4300 G2 storageworks motherboard for these guys - they were $25 ebay and have a far superior bios setup.
Well when there was this deal a few months ago, i couldn't get one as they refused to ship to countries outside of USA.
A found one for about $100 shipped, would you think it is worth the cost? obviously at $25 it was, but 4 times as much...

Is ILO2 really that much better than LO100? I couldn't find any comparison between the two online... And about the BIOS part, what about it is different? Better fan management? ^^

@starshooter10 : thanks a lot for your post, there is a lot of interesting stuff in it!
With the 12 bay backplane, there is a single cable between the P410 and the backplane. Am i right to think that the max bandwidth is like divided by two compared to the 8 bay backplane (or even worse as you can use up to 14 drives, all sharing a single SAS cable)? Is that important? I am still wondering if i should get the 12 bay backplane just to be able to hotplug two more hard drives (without changing the cage)...

Diavuno

Well think of this: a sas cable (sff-8087) in this unit is 300Mbs x4 = 1200mbs that gives you roughly 100Mbs per disk. (reads AND write, sas is bidirectional) Factor in some disk latency and your probably just hitting that limit...
The 8 bay is 2 sas cables to 8 drives, no limits there! (unless you're using nicer SSD's)