HP SFP to HP CX4 ports

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
went back through from ground up and it took latest fw!!!! and I have web access!!!! thx for all of your help!

hopefully soon moveit to network rack and replace my current powerconnect.

Reactions: fohdeesha

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
reviving my old thread.. loving it..
4 machines on 10gb through hp procurve 6400cl into the brocade and out onto my 1gb network...

now life was peachy...

server 2019
Windows 10 x2
ESXI 6.7
ESXI 6.7

upgraded one esxi box to esxi 7 and my old card is no longer supported, thus no 10gb...

so lookin for help and since people knew the brocade here, thought id ask here but can start a new thread. I know nothing about enterprise switches, thus why i appreciated all the hand walking through this...

now i thought maybe to get a newer sfp+ card and put in my esxi 7 box...
if I do that... i could connect it to the brocade but I do not know what I need. I have 4 ports across the top.
what module would i put in there?

thx...

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
just looked through my parts stach and found a cable...
HP 10GbE SFP+ 5m DAC
p/n: 537965-001
so that plugged into one of the 4 ports with no issue... sweet.. so now just need a regular 1 port 10GbE sfp+ card?
what do you recommend for esxi 7...

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
just looked through my parts stach and found a cable...
HP 10GbE SFP+ 5m DAC
p/n: 537965-001
so that plugged into one of the 4 ports with no issue... sweet.. so now just need a regular 1 port 10GbE sfp+ card?
what do you recommend for esxi 7...
Are you talking about the brocade FCX? if so, those four ports are SFP, not SFP+ - that means they're 1gbE only (and shared with the first four copper rj45 ports). Below it there should be a module slot (will have a cover on it) for a 10gbE card, if you pick up one of those it will add two 10gbE ports (in XFP, not SFP+, but using XFP SR optics it will work just fine connected to 10gbE NICs/SFP+ optics on the other side). one of these cards: Brocade ES4625M-FLF-08 10 Gigabit Ethernet XFP Module | eBay

Reactions: TeleFragger

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
Are you talking about the brocade FCX? if so, those four ports are SFP, not SFP+ - that means they're 1gbE only (and shared with the first four copper rj45 ports). Below it there should be a module slot (will have a cover on it) for a 10gbE card, if you pick up one of those it will add two 10gbE ports (in XFP, not SFP+, but using XFP SR optics it will work just fine connected to 10gbE NICs/SFP+ optics on the other side). one of these cards: Brocade ES4625M-FLF-08 10 Gigabit Ethernet XFP Module | eBay
ahhh that is what i was looking for.
so that module you link above, and an intel X520 and use my current cable?

like I mentioned, I am not a networking guy so piecing all of this together, appreciate everyone's assistance.

also, that module, plug it in and do i have to do anything to activate it?

******************edited
wait.. i gotcha now...

so I need
* module for Brocade
* module to plugin to brocade - FOR Juniper SRX-XFP-10GE-SR 10GBase-SR 10G XFP optical transceiver w/60 days WRT | eBay
* Cable - not sure what cable i need yet
* intel x520 card

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
indeed! you'll also need an optic for the intel x520, and intel is picky so it will need to be intel branded. as for the fiber, you just need LC multimode fiber. so:

brocade module: Brocade ES4625M-FLF-08 10 Gigabit Ethernet XFP Module | eBay
brocade XFP optic: FOR Juniper SRX-XFP-10GE-SR 10GBase-SR 10G XFP optical transceiver w/60 days WRT | eBay
fiber: 10 Meter 10G Multimode OM3 Duplex LC to LC Fiber Optic Patch Cable | eBay
intel SFP+ SR optic: Intel Ethernet SFP+SR Optics SFP+ transceiver module 1/10G SR X710-DA4 X710-DA2 82145502731 | eBay

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
indeed! you'll also need an optic for the intel x520, and intel is picky so it will need to be intel branded. as for the fiber, you just need LC multimode fiber. so:

brocade module: Brocade ES4625M-FLF-08 10 Gigabit Ethernet XFP Module | eBay
brocade XFP optic: FOR Juniper SRX-XFP-10GE-SR 10GBase-SR 10G XFP optical transceiver w/60 days WRT | eBay
fiber: 10 Meter 10G Multimode OM3 Duplex LC to LC Fiber Optic Patch Cable | eBay
intel SFP+ SR optic: Intel Ethernet SFP+SR Optics SFP+ transceiver module 1/10G SR X710-DA4 X710-DA2 82145502731 | eBay

thank you very much.. i have fiber cables. is fiber..fiber?

Attachments

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
that's indeed the right connector (LC), it just needs to be multimode fiber as well. It looks like it's orange from that picture, so that's multimode (singlemode fiber is almost always yellow). If you look closely on the jacket, it should have printing stating multimode, and either OM1, OM2, or OM3 (or FDDI if it's really old - which will still work fine, for runs under ~80ft)

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
follow this guide exactly: FCX / ICX6610 - Fohdeesha Docs

It has the required steps for enabling web access, just adding an admin user is not enough. You should also definitely be able to flash the latest firmware from the zip in that guide, both the bootloader and OS
this is 4y old but really appreciate it and this beast has been running since then! Runs like a champ...

Link is a little different, but he still has all the steps up here!!!

I have to get a pic of my switch as I have a port module on the left side and not sure which it is. I think it is an FCX-2SFPP and hoping yall networking guru's can help me out with two things...

1. whatever I need to connect from that switch to a card I need to buy for esxi8 so I can have 10gb
2. hope there is something to plug in to go to 10gbe rj45 as my gaming rig, the way the motherboard sits, the cx4 network cable would stick straight up through the case and I am afraid to cut a hole in my nice case!!!! hah...

I am going to dive through my cables tonight and list it out as I have a ton of stuff I can use.. I have fiber cables (with orange ends), i have sfp+ cables, etc...

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
I have been long busy and never got to it... now I am back!!!
I do appreciate your comment. I just bought the dual xfp module...

I am not a networking guy... can you point me to what cable I need... 15ft and what card to put in for windows 11?

Last edited:

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
ok so I didnt follow the link to "license" and do all that other stuff and it is working but not great.

1708800138996.png