HP SAS Expander Wiki

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
There is new firmware as of roughly a year ago for the HP SAS expander, I think it shows up as version 2.10 - I got it a while ago, and have updated my HP SAS expanders and spares to it using a P212 card with no problems so far (both through the internal and external ports, with appropriate cables)

BestGear

Aug 25, 2014
Is there any knowledge as to what the LED's signify, and likewise, what the 7 pins are for next to them?

Also, has anyone just taken power to the card directly (possibly from a sata power connector) or indeed used one of the pci-e mining PCBs you get for a few quid?

From what I have read, the card only needs power and nothing else, so it must be possible if that is tru to make/modify a wee power board cheaply.

David

Last edited:

EeyoreDK

Jul 29, 2015
Hi David

I run mine on one of the small mining GPU cards. Works perfectly without problems. No need to connect it to motherboard, as you correctly state, it only needs power.

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
Hi David

I run mine on one of the small mining GPU cards. Works perfectly without problems. No need to connect it to motherboard, as you correctly state, it only needs power.

Just to clarify, something like the the adapter in the image above would be able to run the HP SAS expander minus connecting the 1x PCIe to anything?

Reactions: Twice_Shy

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
Awesome! Are you using it in conjunction with something like the Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB1 ?
No, but I am shure that will work too. I am using this construction, because my board has just 2 pci-e slots.
One is occupied with a LSI 9211 8i and one with a Intel x520 and I needed the HP SAS expander to fully utilise all ports of my 24 bay case.

balmediecanada

Dec 27, 2015
Hello. I purchased a HP Expander card, of unknown firmware, from a local IT recycler. I'd like to update to the latest v2.1 firmware. I read on ServerFault (How to upgrade the firmware of HP SAS expander card without Smart Array controller or Proliant Server?) that one possible option in the absence of a HP raid card is the use of the HP Service Pack for ProLiant which requires a Proliant server - I have a N36L micro sever.

I don't think the Expander card will actually fit inside the microserver (especially with the plastic cable support plate) so I was thinking of using a PCE-E extension cable - but what width of extension cable would I need? Does the flashing process require x1, x2,x4 or x8 lanes? There is a x16 and a x1 slot on the MB.

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
Hello. I purchased a HP Expander card, of unknown firmware, from a local IT recycler. I'd like to update to the latest v2.1 firmware. I read on ServerFault (How to upgrade the firmware of HP SAS expander card without Smart Array controller or Proliant Server?) that one possible option in the absence of a HP raid card is the use of the HP Service Pack for ProLiant which requires a Proliant server - I have a N36L micro sever.

I don't think the Expander card will actually fit inside the microserver (especially with the plastic cable support plate) so I was thinking of using a PCE-E extension cable - but what width of extension cable would I need? Does the flashing process require x1, x2,x4 or x8 lanes? There is a x16 and a x1 slot on the MB.
Just a wild guess: It shouldn't use ANY PCI-E lanes at ALL.
AFAIK: PCI-E lanes are just for power supply. So the firmware upgrade is probably happening via the SAS cable if something like that is possible.

If I am wrong: A 4 lane cable would be sufficient, because the card is only 4 lanes physical.

Spritzup

Mar 21, 2016
Since somebody already necro'd this thread, I figured I'd ask here... what does the new firmware fix? Worth upgrading to?

Thanks!

~Spritz

psylenced

Aug 21, 2016
Sorry to bump an old thread.

I've got hold of a Dell Compellent CT 040 which I'm going to use as my storage device (which comes with a TQ backplane).

It comes with a 16E card, and I need to connect the internal drives to it, so was looking at the HP expander as it also comes with an external port which I can loop through to the 16E card and they seem to be budget friendly.

Only problem is that the images in the first post are broken. Is there any way I'm able to identify which are the ones that are firmware upgradeable?

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
According to other HP SAS expander guides I remember reading years ago, you just need to avoid the really old version with a yellow PCB instead of green. I have only seen the green ones, although I have at least 5 dead ones which a scammy ebay seller sold me a few years ago as "untested" - perhaps by them, but they were all packed in antistatic bags (carefully not pictured in the auction description) with bold sharpie stating things like "bad card", "not detected" etc. If anyone knows how to revive them, PM me, or you can have them for shipping costs.

Reactions: psylenced

psylenced

Aug 21, 2016
That's ok then.. All the cards I saw were green, which got me wondering if there were ones with a small patch of yellow somewhere (without being able to see the pictures). As long as it's 100% obvious the difference, then I should be fine.

There is a big difference between "untested" and marked as "bad card" it's surprising you didn't get your money back - shows that were 100% knowingly trying to scam you rather than being unaware.

psylenced

Aug 21, 2016
Ended up finding on ebay a new 468406-B21 (with the cables) for $50 aud ($37 usd).

Was from a place a few suburbs over which is good.

Hopefully that will do the job.

MArcoG

Sep 29, 2016
Hello everyone

Sorry to just stumble in here like that but I have the expander card incoming tomorrow and would like to get the firmware upgraded. We have DL 380 G6 here at work that haven't been dumped yet so it shouldn't be a technical issue.

Only one thing: Where do I download the freaking firmware in the first place? All the links I found so far lead to some "Not found" page of one form or another.

Any help would be appreciated.

Marco

vvu

Oct 24, 2016
I just received my my SAS expander today. Came with FW 2.06. I was in the mood for a bit of pain so I decided to try to flash it to 2.10 using on a supermicro board. Besides only having i386 binaries the entire process was painless. I did experience what others have and the firmware revision did not increment right after flashing, but a powercycle solved that problem.

Good Luck!

Rig:
HBA - Dell H310 Flashed with 9211-IT Firmware (P20)
Ubuntu 14.04 i386 Live USB (i386 is important! unless you want to compile your own flashing binaries)

Code:
root@ubuntu:~# lsscsi
[6:0:0:0] enclosu HP HP SAS EXP Card 2.10 -
[7:0:0:0] disk PNY USB 3.0 FD 1100 /dev/sda
Steps:
  • sg_write_buffer --mode=activate_mc /dev/sgX (change X to what you notated earlier)
  • lsscsi -g | grep HP (might still show old FW version, if thats the case time to powercycle!)
Credit:
How to upgrade the firmware of HP SAS expander card without Smart Array controller or Proliant Server?

Matt N

Oct 30, 2016
Melbourne, AUS
I just received my my SAS expander today. Came with FW 2.06. I was in the mood for a bit of pain so I decided to try to flash it to 2.10 using on a supermicro board. Besides only having i386 binaries the entire process was painless. I did experience what others have and the firmware revision did not increment right after flashing, but a powercycle solved that problem.

Good Luck!

Rig:
HBA - Dell H310 Flashed with 9211-IT Firmware (P20)
Ubuntu 14.04 i386 Live USB (i386 is important! unless you want to compile your own flashing binaries)

Code:
root@ubuntu:~# lsscsi
[6:0:0:0] enclosu HP HP SAS EXP Card 2.10 -
[7:0:0:0] disk PNY USB 3.0 FD 1100 /dev/sda
Steps:
  • sg_write_buffer --mode=activate_mc /dev/sgX (change X to what you notated earlier)
  • lsscsi -g | grep HP (might still show old FW version, if thats the case time to powercycle!)
Credit:
How to upgrade the firmware of HP SAS expander card without Smart Array controller or Proliant Server?

I've just been through the above steps, with a HP SAS expander card that had Firmware 1.00 installed, and it has not updated... even after a power cycle.

Rig:
Norco RPC-4224
SuperMicro X8SIL-F
IBM M1015 - Flashed to IT Mode with Avago/LSI 9211-8i firmware 20.00.07.00

Using Ubuntu 16.04.01 Live USB/CD (i386 build).

output of lsscsi command:

Code:
root@ubuntu:~# lssci
[0:0:2:0]   enclosu      HP    HP SAS EXP Card       1.00        -
[1:0:0:0]   disk         ATA   KINGSTON SUV400S      DS6D    /dev/sdc
[5:0:0:0]   disk         ATA   KINGSTON SUV400S      DS6D    /dev/sde
the first sg_write_buffer command takes approx 30-40 seconds to complete, with no errors indicated. the second sg_write_buffer command takes less than a second.

A power cycle, and recheck of the firmware revisionb does not show any change.
(Note: I have tried both CP019687.scexe and CP022989.scexe) both have the same results.

I am open to suggestions ;)