HP SAS enclosure advise

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
If it supports direct connect then you can direct connect it via HBA. You'd have to find that out though. If you want FC connected, there are tons of cheap FC shelves out there.

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
There is another possibility, though I hear that it has the same "Beeping" issue as some other shelves when using SATA drives. Pretty cheap, can be connected via SAS, and is newer than some other options. Just adding it for others who may search and run across this thread.

3PAR shelf

DrStein99

If it does not exist ? I am probably building it.
Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
I just added a Dell Xyratex shelf with 12 LFF bays. 3.5" drives appear to be cheaper. I did crystal speed disk test on the response of the two systems and it is just about the same (unless you consider 250ms+/- a big boost in time). It was fun putting this heavy additional heating fan in my rack, as I will probably save more cost in heating my home this winter if I just pump air for the house out of this room. Yes that was a good solution.

I bought Xyratex AFTER I got my 2.5" cage. So now I solved my storage problem, I wanted to just finish the project to free up 2.5" bays so I have that ready when I need to use in probably 3 more months.

The HP DL3800 has one PCIe riser with (2) SAS cards, 1 for the existing 2.5" internal bank and 1 for the external 3.5" Xyratex bank. After shopping, I discover another PCIe riser will cost me a whole $10 and another LSI 9211 internal card is like $20 - the obvious solution here is to go with that.

Another option for me, I can also test my skills and attempt to convert the onboard HP R410 SAS controller to IT mode. There is some write-ups people have done it. Ideally that would be better, since I would not have another riser and PCIe card heating up the hardware crammed in that box.

Firebat

Jan 12, 2022
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but do I need a HPE Head Unit (ProLiant G8/G9 or G10) to use the D3700/D3710 or is it possible to use whatever machine/vendor I want?