HP S6500 and SL230s Gen8 - CRAZY deal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Take a look at the quickspecs for the sl230s :
http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04128238.pdf

Around page 25 it lists the 10GbE options for the FlexLOM slot or you can use whatever you want in the PCIe 3 .0 x16 slot on the other side.
Seems like it supports dual port SFP+:
HP Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 560SFP+ Adapter 665249-B21

This is tempting but it still can't beat the dynamic drive allocation of the C6220s and 24x hot swap bays. Anyone able to compare the noise with the C6220?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
The C6220 is a junk show, you can't even get SATA 6.0 Gbps speeds with it if you use SSDs. Unless you use an HBA and very, very long breakout cables. The C6220 II is a different beast and is more rare.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
The C6220 is a junk show, you can't even get SATA 6.0 Gbps speeds with it if you use SSDs. Unless you use an HBA and very, very long breakout cables. The C6220 II is a different beast and is more rare.
I'm planning to use them as HVs which only need two hot swap boot drives but there doesn't seem to be a way to pool the extra 4x cold swap drives for the last machine so it's kind of wasting the rack space for 16x drives. With the C6220, you could assign these drives to the 4th node. Unless there's a way to run a breakout cable connected to a HBA across from the back or something?

Edit: Upon reading the manual further, does this mean that if I want to use the PCIe slot for a 10GbE card I would only have a single hot swap tray to play with? That's kind of bad for any server.

"1. PCIe Expansion Slot or Hot Plug HDD option for one (1) SFF 2.5" hard drive"

Last edited:

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
It means that you can get a single 2.5" hotswap bay to fit in the movie slot if you'd like. Those other ones are still usable internally. They do make a server that is mostly storage but I can't seem to find the machine. It was 12 or 16 drives in one slot.
I'm planning to use them as HVs which only need two hot swap boot drives but there doesn't seem to be a way to pool the extra 4x cold swap drives for the last machine so it's kind of wasting the rack space for 16x drives. With the C6220, you could assign these drives to the 4th node. Unless there's a way to run a breakout cable connected to a HBA across from the back or something?

Edit: Upon reading the manual further, does this mean that if I want to use the PCIe slot for a 10GbE card I would only have a single hot swap tray to play with? That's kind of bad for any server.

"1. PCIe Expansion Slot or Hot Plug HDD option for one (1) SFF 2.5" hard drive"

josh

Oct 21, 2013
It means that you can get a single 2.5" hotswap bay to fit in the movie slot if you'd like. Those other ones are still usable internally. They do make a server that is mostly storage but I can't seem to find the machine. It was 12 or 16 drives in one slot.
Yup that's what I meant. Ideally boot drive should be RAIDed on hot swap so I don't have to bring down the whole machine to replace a failure.

It's still 4x cold swap bays that would be empty in each node that isn't the storage server and still kind of a waste of space.

Edit: Also, seems like the dual SFP cards cost more than $100 each on ebay.

Last edited:

themelon

Jan 26, 2016
Sweet, the onboard SAS controller is an Avago SAS2308 in IT mode!

Plus I have iLo advanced keys!

themelon

Jan 26, 2016
That's actually really impressive. Kinda regret not getting one now. Saves a lot on hbas.
That's pretty much what I thought. Need to mill out some mounts to get 8 sff drives in the back and I'll be happy(er)

Then I just need 10 more cpus and 128 8gb memory modules.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
That's actually really impressive. Kinda regret not getting one now. Saves a lot on hbas.
Don't regret it yet. Look at my blog post about the gen 8 noise issue. The gen 8s had a flaw with noise when the controller is not in HP mode rather than it mode this was a huge pissed off moment for me.

HPE Support document - HPE Support Center

Basically without HP br120i/230i and rbsu enables on the raid controller doesn't feed temp info to the Ilo which makes it loud.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk