HP Reliant DL360p G7 - I'm building my first server and it's so different than building a PC :O [HELP!]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ljhwild

Nov 5, 2022
Hi, I watched a bunch of videos on YT how to get an old enterprise server and make it work as home media device or a home server, the things are pretty cheap, but I'm also a pretty poor student, so I'd rather not experiment with parts that might not work. I'm planning to go with DebianEdu or Fedora and it's important for me to be able to add as many USB devices as possible.
So far I bought a motherboard, it's just plain solo mobo with all the slots and sockets and heatsink mounts but that's it, no case, no cables, nothing
It's from HP Reliant Dl360p G7 server Document Display | HPE Support Center
Userguide: Document Display | HPE Support Center

1667661733273.png
1667661740180.png

it has dual lga1366, 24 ram slots for some old school ram and 2 pcie (x16 + x8)
Below is the parts I intend to get and questions I have in regards to that
1x Intel Xeon X5570 (6 core) + a refurbished heatsink for that server <-- anything I should be aware of here?
16GB (4x 4GB) of ram DDR3 1333MHz RDIMM o
PowerSupply
Option 1 - I found a PSU for DL360p G5, I see they don't have standard PSU plugs like on pc, but some custom bus, will it fit? It has 750W, while the standard PSU that originally came with this server is 460W, but it's somehow far more expensive. Should I expect any problems?
Option 2 - 1x 460W PSU standard for this rack, <-- the server has connectors for 2 such psu and they are more expensive, if I use just 1 cpu and 32gb ram, and some discrete graphic cards, will I be able to run this set up on 1 psu?

HDD? This is a big shocker for me but this MOBO doesn't seem to have any SATA. I've read it supports SAS. From what I understand I will need to get some intermediate hardware to connect the discs to the mobo? Because it seems I should be able to connect many hardrives, but at best there could 3-4 pottenital slots. The manual mentions some backplane, but I've got no clue what it means what I need to buy. Ultimately I don't even need SAS. I would be completely happy if I could connect 2x SATA 500gb SSDs I have lying around. What are my options?

1667661714170.png
1667661722384.png

Next I would like some discreet graphics capable of running lxqt or lxde, but if I can something better at abudget for PCIe 2.0 x16 would be great (if I'm correct and I can put one of those on this mobo)

Aaaaand my large number of USBs requirment. As I said I would like to connect as many USBs as possible, I know there are some limits as per how many devices can a controller have connected even with powered hubs, so what are my options here? Would you know how many I can install off the bat using the two usb slots on MOBO (one externall and one internall) and do I have any options to increase that number? Some expansions or repurpose a different component? I think I am still left with a PCIe 2.0 x8 after using the x16 slot?

Finally do I need to be aware of anything else? I'm intending to run this set-up at first out any case, just places on a large insulated sheet.
I'm doing this Guerilla way, I can't afford the box at the moment, weirdly it's the most expensive part :p

I've been on this research quest for few weeks now and finally I've got the funds to buy most of the parts. Would be great to order today :O
I will really appreciate help and discussion. If you don't know about EVERYTHING I asked, but you can answer a part of, please do :)

Attachments

Last edited:

audiophonicz

Jan 11, 2021
Hello,

First I'd like to ask why youre trying to build an older proliant from parts when the whole chassis can be had for under $50 on ebay? I see one with dual X5660, 16GB of RAM, chassis, fans, dual PSU, quad NIC, everything for like $33+shipping? Thats about what youd pay for both your PSU.

HDD? This is a big shocker for me but this MOBO doesn't seem to have any SATA
So according to your images, connectors 7 and 8 are probably miniSAS, so 4 channels per port, with forward breakout cables youd be able to put 4x SATA drives per port or 2x SAS drives per port.
It looks like the power for these drives comes from connectors 19 and 20. These look to be 6pin molex meant for the backplane. Should be able to get some kind of 6pin molex to sata power adapter.

Next I would like some discreet graphics capable of running lxqt or lxde, but if I can something better at abudget for PCIe 2.0 x16 would be great (if I'm correct and I can put one of those on this mobo)
You dont have any PCIe slots on this board, you have a PCI Riser slots. In fact it looks like you have two. The x8 x16 slots are on the risers, one each. might be difficult getting that to work without a case.

• Love
Reactions: ljhwild

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Going with such antique (and inefficient) hardware, expect your electric usage and noise to be very noticeable.
Case in point, just the CPU is typical 95W TPD under load, but it's circa 2009, and it's performance is beaten by 10W CPU

My 2c, I understand that you want to learn to deal with enterprise servers here, but my advice is to separate your interest in learning enterprise servers and your want to keep your home 24/7 running server.

• Love
Reactions: ljhwild

ljhwild

Nov 5, 2022
First of all, thanks all of you for the information and effort. I really appreciate the time and expertise you've put forward.

First I'd like to ask why youre trying to build an older proliant from parts when the whole chassis can be had for under $50 on ebay? I see one with dual X5660, 16GB of RAM, chassis, fans, dual PSU, quad NIC, everything for like $33+shipping? Thats about what youd pay for both your PSU.
I haven't seen any options like that :O
the cheapest premades I found with this set up are way more than 200 bucks, while the total price for parts I found second-hand is around 55 -70 usd with shipping, without the case.
So according to your images, connectors 7 and 8 are probably miniSAS, so 4 channels per port, with forward breakout cables youd be able to put 4x SATA drives per port or 2x SAS drives per port.
It looks like the power for these drives comes from connectors 19 and 20. These look to be 6pin molex meant for the backplane. Should be able to get some kind of 6pin molex to sata power adapter.
Thank you so much! That's exactly what I wanted to find out!
You dont have any PCIe slots on this board, you have a PCI Riser slots. In fact it looks like you have two. The x8 x16 slots are on the risers, one each. might be difficult getting that to work without a case.
I've never had to deal with risers, so my understanding is that I need to buy a PCIe cable that on one end allows to plug the PCI device and the other end into the riser?

ljhwild

Nov 5, 2022
Sorry for multipost, but the multiquote doesn't seem to work for me.
Going with such antique (and inefficient) hardware, expect your electric usage and noise to be very noticeable.
Case in point, just the CPU is typical 95W TPD under load, but it's circa 2009, and it's performance is beaten by 10W CPU

My 2c, I understand that you want to learn to deal with enterprise servers here, but my advice is to separate your interest in learning enterprise servers and your want to keep your home 24/7 running server.
I'm fine with the noise and high power consumption. I have unlimited free green energy here so that won't be an issue. The noise also won't be a problem. My room is next to the night club and my fridge sounds like a tank going up a steep hill, so it will just harmoniously compose with other noises :p

When it comes to performance, let's say I want to run 10-15 low end vms debian on lxqt or lxde,
in this case, would the server parts perform better? I noticed the cpus i can put in already support all the necessary virtualization technologies and the ability to put 128 or more gigs of extremely cheap ram would be an advantage.
In such case, considerin also that the prices is a key factor, would this be a viable solution?

EDIT Sorry i noticed a typo in my processor model, the one i listed is actually not even compatible.
I meant X5670