HP RAID Controllers on the Intel 2600GZ Platform (P212 and P420)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
i'd try again playing with cache settings, iirc 0%/100% or 50/50 gave best results but i'd try raid-5 or 6 (50/60) and be mindful of the time to init the raid ;)

perhaps set the ira, operating system caching, etc.

Enable disk cache -
enhanced raid-5/6 rebuild
elevator writes disabled. except when ssd caching.

I pulled the x25-m cache drive whilst doing a iometer read comparison with random data and nothing happened other than slow down. read cache hit rate was 90% and 80% to write (!?!).

Wonder if the smbus tape trick would help? the card works in the 8300 elite hp, and z400 workstation - but you must have a slot cooler or heat pump with no airflow.

even in gen8 like ml350 it will overheat in some slots

Hardware

May 9, 2013
I tried to use my old P400 Smart Array Controller on the Elite 8300 without success.
It runs very well on the DC7800 PC.
So I am looking for a good Raid controller on the Elite 8300 to build a VMware ESXi 5.1 host.
Which RAID controller did you tested on HP Elite 8300?

g725s

Aug 3, 2013
I had a P212 running in one of my microservers for 2 years. Worked really well.
The microservers are also handy for flashing HP cards etc.
Do you know if this card can work in an HP N40L that is using a modded BIOS as to get port multiplication on the external eSATA port?

I flashed the BIOS on my N40L as to get full speed on the internal ODD SATA Port, but this modded BIOS also has the ability to enable port multiplication and full speed on the external eSATA.

However I read a post at another forum where the user tried to run the P212 with RAID 5 with the external eSATA port multiplication enabled without success.

My intentions would be to run four HGST 4tb 5700rpm Deskstars in RAID 5, WHS 2011 on ODD SATA, and eventually be able to attach at least a 4 disk enclosure to the external eSATA connector.

This is where I got my BIOS: http://homeservershow.com/forums/in...for-microserver-n40l-enables-hidden-features/

Last edited: