hp proliant with gtx1050ti

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Daniel Stipa

Mar 23, 2017
I have a server HP proliant gen9 that I needed a graphic card (low price) só I bought a Nvidia GTX 1050ti low profile and it worked fine when Im in the machine with a monitor, When I try to use it by remote access, it is like the Graphic card is off, It didnt recognise anymore, but pluging the Monitor it came back. Any idea how to use it without monitor (headless)?

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
My first question is how are you remoting into it?

If you are using the iLO Remote Console, it does not use the graphics card. (so if this is the case, remote in a different way, like RDP)

If you are using Windows RDP or another program that only remotes into the operating system, there are settings in the Gen9 UEFI BIOS that will allow you to tell the server to only use the graphics card (as opposed to the built-in Matrox graphics that Gen9's have).

Let me know if this works.

Reactions: Daniel Stipa

Daniel Stipa

Mar 23, 2017
Hello john, thanks so much for your help, you helped me but I still have some problems, although it is working but the nvidia Gtx , it still giving a error mensage and the performace is really bad compared when I'm using it a monitor. Im using Remote Desktop to access the server.

This is the error mensage: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Daniel Stipa

Mar 23, 2017
Monoman thansk a lot for your help, The plan is use it with MSTSC for autocad, Im using hyper-v with the remotefx but it is veryslowly becuase of the graphic card, does you think that using the display emulator it will solve the problem? becuase when I using with monitor it works fine.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
@Daniel Stipa

I agree with Monoman. If you could post the specs he mentioned it would help a lot.

Since this is a VM on a remote server, there are a lot of different things that could be causing this (software, drivers, firmware, updates, or even hardware).

First, what Gen9 server model are you we talking about? (ML350, DL380, DL360, DL320, ML310, and so on???)

Second, is the GPU in an X16 PCIe slot? (also, is it on a riser card?I know the 360 and 380 use risers). If your 1050 needs a power cable attached (not sure if it does, but should mention it anyway) be sure you have the proper Gen9 PCI power cable attached.

Third, make sure you're running an updated GeForce Experience driver (3.0 and up, google it)

Fourth, make sure your VM (Win10) is updated and recognizes all of its HyperV virtual hardware & drivers are installed for it

Fifth, make sure your host (the HyperV server) is fully updated and recognizes all of your HP Gen9 hardware and has updates if needed

Lastly, since I don't know what all you have running or how your networking components are setup, you should make sure you have sufficient bandwidth to support your remote session (likely not the issue, but I've seen some crazy things before like a 10mb connection used by 3 VMs...)

After you're sure about all of that, I'd stick with @Monoman 's suggestions from there.

EDIT: I should mention, these ideas I posted are my attempt to help you fix you're video performance problems. Though it might, I'm not familiar with Unigine benchmarking software so it might not fix that error code.

Last edited:

Daniel Stipa

Mar 23, 2017
@Monoman and @johnTitor thanks a lot for your help guys, here are some specs:

Server os version: Windows 2016 Standard
VM os version: Win 10 Enterprise
Nvidia Driver version:
Client os version: Win 10 Enterprise
HP gen9 DL360
Nvidia Driver 3.5.0.69
The GPU doesn't need extra power
I think everything is updated because it is a new server.

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
So, if you physically place a monitor on the server (plugged into the 1050), and then use MSTSC do you get the performance you're desiring?

Daniel Stipa

Mar 23, 2017
no, but if I'm physically at it then is works fine, for example if I let a monitor on the server turned on, and then I go to another computer and use the MSTSC it drops the performace from 130 fps ( when physically connected) to 2fps ( using MSTSC trying to use the GTX) also if I just turn off the GTX and use the native graphic card then with the MSTSC I will have 30fps

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
yep. You're not going to be able to do what you want with MSTSC, sorry. If you have to use MSTSC for your setup, please ensure the video card driver on the windows 10 VM is a RemoteFX.

I'd recommend Moonlight Game Streaming.

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 10, 2016
Do you use the card for more than one VM? If you need to remote to a single machine than you can try to passthrough the card to the machine. Windows 2016 should support passthrough in general. Not sure if it will work with non-server grade card though.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
@Monoman and @johnTitor thanks a lot for your help guys, here are some specs:
I think everything is updated because it is a new server.
Yeah, that is a bad assumption to make... Unless you did a configure to order box direct from HPE then it is only going to have whatever was current when it was built. Server rom versions (UEFI and ILO) would be good to know.