HP Proliant SSD Compatibility

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
I've used both Dell and HP servers in my homelab but am doing some purchasing for a test environment where the requirements are a little higher.

Both R630/730 and DL360/DL380 gen9 accept non OEM SSD's but with HP, I remember orange light would appear. In my homelab this wasn't a problem, but I'm reading about issues with HP. Like SSD's would fall out of a diskgroup or faulty drives would not flag.

Can anyone confirm this?
Also, are there any other handicaps like no SMART or storage feature support?

Buying HP SSD's just doesn't make financial sense at this point but I'm siding towards the gen9s. Dell doesn't seem to have this problem in all my lab experience and is much more forgiving. Firmware issues are such a hassle with HP.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Used HPE SSD are common and not that expensive. SAS at least common.

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
This forum is invaluable. I am so happy to be part of this wealth of knowledge.

I will be sticking to Dell R730xd. Too risky

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
I have HP oem samsung drives in a dl360 gen9 with p440AR, we purposefully yanked 1 out of 8 drives in raid-5 and stuck an older samsung 850 pro and let it do benchmarks for a week before putting the oem samsung drive back in. Worked flawlessly for a week under 24/7 load as a spare

spanky34

May 5, 2016
I would check which raid controller is inside and look up what the support.
HP doesn't just hand that information out unfortunately.. They want you to buy branded drives from them.

If you want wide compatibility in these machines, it's best to swap out the HP raid cards with a card that doesn't care what kind of drives are connected.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Well thats not that true. Its important to look up what the Raid Controller will support.
I ordered some used 300Gb Drives and a Handfull blank Cages from Ebay.
By Support I mean what the max Size is.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
HP doesn't just hand that information out unfortunately.. They want you to buy branded drives from them.

If you want wide compatibility in these machines, it's best to swap out the HP raid cards with a card that doesn't care what kind of drives are connected.
The HP cards themselves will generally support any SAS or SATA drive. The issue is how HP monitors the drive temperature. I don't think the way they do it is "non-standard", but it's not as common.The result is that if you use a drive which the server can't monitor it will spin up the fans to near 100% because it thinks the drive is overheating.

Using an alternate controller results in the same issue. HP is notorious for not playing nice with 3rd party cards. If you pop one in you'll most likely cause the fans to spin-up again. Non-recognized PCI-e cards cause the same problems.

Riley

Reactions: spanky34

spanky34

May 5, 2016
The HP cards themselves will generally support any SAS or SATA drive. The issue is how HP monitors the drive temperature. I don't think the way they do it is "non-standard", but it's not as common.The result is that if you use a drive which the server can't monitor it will spin up the fans to near 100% because it thinks the drive is overheating.

Using an alternate controller results in the same issue. HP is notorious for not playing nice with 3rd party cards. If you pop one in you'll most likely cause the fans to spin-up again. Non-recognized PCI-e cards cause the same problems.

Riley
Thanks, I have a couple myself and when I was researching that was recommended somewhere. I had not tried it myself. Perhaps it was recommended for a different reason?

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
The WD Red 1TB work good in the Server. I dont know if the can Monitor the Temp.
The Fan run as normal as before.