HP Proliant SL2x170z help!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

leonard112

Jan 21, 2014
Hello!
I'm new to this forum and got here with the dell c6100 thread. I was prospecting to buy a c6100 server but now the prices went up and there are no good deals anymore. I'm from Europe and only transport+ VAT will increase the price even more.
I am an software geek, not a bare metal kind of guy so I really need your help with some information regarding an offer that I receive here in Europe about the HP Proliant SL2x170z with a very good configuration without all extra costs mentioned above.
Here are the specs from HP.
The offer is like this 4x nodes, 256GB RAM, 8 x L5640 hex core, dual power supply for about 2000 pounds. The big drawback of this sistem is the 1 x 3.5" hdd slot per node.

Figured I reather put 2 ssds in raid for the operating systems so found this gadget to have redundancy with 2x 2.5" ssd in 3.5" encloser and RAID on the gadget level MB982SPR-2S_2.5" to 3.5" SSD Converters_CONVERSION KITS_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure.

What I want to achieve is 1 node for a cPanel configuration. and the other 3 for a Cloud solution with Cloudstack.
1)A storage array solution can be added to this server and still run cPanel with it?
2)Cloudstack has any limitations regarding the storage arrays? What it will the best choice for this setup?
3)Do I need other hardware to get this setup up and running?

Thank you very much for reading my thread and thank you guys for this forum. I found out a lot of interesting stuff browsing.