HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8 Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Just woke up! How cool!

I can't wait to see if the HP Gen 8 microserver has the ability to use Xeon E3 CPUs with VT-d. Especially if they go on sale that would make these things really cheap. Too bad no second PCIe slot though. A $150 40gig IB card + a IBM M5014 would be sweet!

wyluliraven

Nov 6, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Well, with the listed Pentium G630T and the Celeron G530T, that is true Jeggs101, but since those chips are not embedded... You could easily get an E3-1220Lv2 and give it those. Exactly what I am planning on doing.

That is to say, that they do not neuter Ivy Bridge compatibility.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I wonder how cooling is going to be and what the highest TDP you can use is. Would suck to have to use low power parts only

wyluliraven

Nov 6, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Aye, if it supports only up to ~55w TDP, that could limit some options. However there are some very nifty unreleased SKUs floating around that would work wonderfully.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
that looks like the specs of the ml110 which is just a bigger version (and much faster) - remember the celeron/pentium are just cut cache versions of the latest ivy bridge, they support ecc and all that jazz. No point in throwing out a perfectly good wafer that has a bad cache section when you can laser it off.

compare to the ml110 and get back to us.

B120i is intel ich raid with optional 512BBWC - the HP VSA driver makes it into a regular esxi supported smart array controller. The riser board takes over with a lsi2308 and uses the same 512BBWC (it's on the motherboard) but disables the b120i - and is called the b320i which is just a LSI 2308 HBA which runs the HP VSA driver to do software raid.

HP smartcache requires 1GB of cache so that's not happening. They do say for Emerging Tech i.e. SSD . lol

Last edited:

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Looks like slim optical bay slot instead of 5.25" bays. There goes one of the best mods.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
We had one for two months. Great case but the second you want to expand you get constrained. I actually liked the earlier generation version.

I really wish these were just standard ITX so I could do a swap.

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
I have a couple of earlier generation servers in stock at work and I was wondering whether I should start my AIO project with one of these or ask HP for a demo unit of the current version. I like how the earlier version was nearly silent and I'm concerned this might not be the case anymore. Did you notice anything ? Thanks !