HP Proliant DL380p G8 vs Dell PowerEdge R720

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zogthegreat

Jan 20, 2019
Hi everyone!

I wasn't sure which category to post this, moderators please repost to the proper thread if necessary.

So I've been running my home server off of an Asus Z9PR-D12, However, the board has been slowly dying and I'm looking to upgrade to something a little less flaky.

I'm leaning towards a Dell PowerEdge R720, I like Dell hardware and their after market/EOL support is fantastic. However, I am seeing HP Proliant DL380p G8 for half of the price of the R720's. I am running two VM's with passthrough's for the video and USB, (Windows 10 and Mac OS Catalina), so I need to be able to add two video cards and two USB 3.0 cards. I know that I can do this with the Dell, but can I do this with the HP's? I have read that the HP's can be techy about the hardware that you install and that EOL support is mostly nonexistent. But saving $100 USD sounds really tempting, that's another 8GB SAS drive that I could drop into the server.

Thoughts, comments, philosophical musings?

Thanks!

zog

fiftynine

May 12, 2020
I've owned multiple second hand servers from dell and lately hp ml350p gen8 (which I sold a few weeks ago). Personally due to hp not offering isos anymore and their used component scarcity (I had to ship a drive cage across the pond) I won't be buying into their ecosystem at this time. HP's gpu kit (power cable) was around £35 a pop so I never bought those. HP gen8 trays felt flimsy compared to dell rx20 caddies.

I buy servers for home within £300-600 category and in that segment I feel like dell offers more bang for a buck. Now, I wanted to try something else and bought a few quantas for a change

Lix

Aug 6, 2017
I have 1x 720 and 1x 720xd, I do like them. Solid build quality and good software support from Dell.