HP Proliant 380p Gen8 - ILO4 not working

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

leerees

Feb 15, 2018
Hi Guys,

I have a proliant dl380p G8 and on boot the UEFI / BIOS says it cannot communicate with ILO4.

I don't need ILO as it's only a crypto mining server. Everything else works fine, the actual problem is the fans keep randomly switching from full blast to nothing at all.

Is there a way I can overide the fans to operate at a user defined setting?

I'm running ubuntu server (no gui)

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
what did you set the power profile and cooling profile in the bios to? Max Performance Max Cooling?

I'd try reflashing the ilo4 starting from an older version and move forward to newer versions when you get success!

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Hi Guys,

I have a proliant dl380p G8 and on boot the UEFI / BIOS says it cannot communicate with ILO4.

I don't need ILO as it's only a crypto mining server. Everything else works fine, the actual problem is the fans keep randomly switching from full blast to nothing at all.

Is there a way I can overide the fans to operate at a user defined setting?

I'm running ubuntu server (no gui)

Does the ilo load at all? What version is it at?

leerees

Feb 15, 2018
The ILO4 sometimes reports an ip address but all the time it says its not available.

I downloaded the HP Smart update manager 7.6.2 and it updated all the other components but gave an error on ILO:

Online ROM Flash Engine: FLASH_ILO 4 1.17 (Sep 30 2015)

Error: Make sure hp Lights-Out driver is installed and loaded, also execute the utility as root
return code 7

This is the image i used:
HPE SPP Gen8.1 2017.iso

I'm guessing that this particular image wasn't scripted properly by HP (didn't load the ilo driver),
Does anybody have an image for the gen 8's that works?

Alternatively, as i don't actually need ilo, is there anything I can do to stop the fans wildly spinning up every 5 minutes.
I've tried all power saving mode and max cooling

leerees

Feb 15, 2018
I managed to flash the ILO using the hardware flash utility.

It worked and the ILO came back online and the fan problem went away.

However, after powering off the server to move it to another location it went back to the same issue as before, ILO not responding.

Is this something to do with the battery backup?

leerees

Feb 15, 2018
Can anybody help with this, There must be something I can do as the ILO did work once. If I can't is there anything I can set in the bios that will stop the fans spinning up to full speed randomly?