HP N36L microserver - PCIe sata card?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

trojanshouse

Dec 5, 2013
Hi there,

I have my trusted N36L with 6 hard drives in raid (ZFS) and silly me had open Indiana running from the USB port... well it worked fine for the last few years!

I have a SSD to put in, but having trouble finding anyone who knows what PCIe to Sata card will be compatible?
PCIe 16 Gen 2 or PCIe 1 Gen 2

has anyone found any that work or don't work...
wouldn't want to buy without researching!

this is a home server so I don't want to be spending lots of $

this is the info I have found to date:
Expansion Cards - HP MicroServer N40L Wiki
Storage Controllers (HBA, Raid etc) - OpenIndiana - OpenIndiana Wiki

only cards I can find are on ebay for around $300...

could anyone assist with a cheap compatible card?

The plan is to use the new card for either the OS (OI) or existing sata drive in the pool

any advise would be greatly appreciated

Tro

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
These are the kinda go-to cards for inexpensive SATA/ SAS: IBM ServeRAID M1015 Adapter PCI E 2 0 x8 RAID Controller Card 46M0861 Low P | eBay

Also would allow you to use a 6-in-1 5.25" drive bay and connect a bunch more drives.

Same controller but 4 internal 4 external ports: LSI SAS9212 4I4E RAID Controller | eBay

That one is cool because you could add another shelf full of drives in an external case if you ever wanted. Also uses SATA/ SAS connectors inside so you can use cheapo $1 cables instead of a $15 SAS cable.

Last edited:

trojanshouse

Dec 5, 2013
These are the kinda go-to cards for inexpensive SATA/ SAS: IBM ServeRAID M1015 Adapter PCI E 2 0 x8 RAID Controller Card 46M0861 Low P | eBay

Also would allow you to use a 6-in-1 5.25" drive bay and connect a bunch more drives.

Same controller but 4 internal 4 external ports: LSI SAS9212 4I4E RAID Controller | eBay

That one is cool because you could add another shelf full of drives in an external case if you ever wanted. Also uses SATA/ SAS connectors inside so you can use cheapo $1 cables instead of a $15 SAS cable.
These will work with Open Indiana?

Tro

trojanshouse

Dec 5, 2013
Yes. Great cards for that. Lookup sas 2008
It's all getting a little clearer now, so I am trying to find a cheaper or closer option to minimise the risk etc!

also found this
Storage Controllers (HBA, Raid etc) - OpenIndiana - OpenIndiana Wiki

would this work?
Lot of 2 Sun 371 3255 PCI E x8 8 Port LSI SAS3081E s SAS Controller | eBay

if so then most of these might work?
sas3081 | eBay

and there is this...
LSI Megaraid SAS 8408E 256M Cache 3GB S 8 Port PCI E SAS Sata Raid Controller | eBay

ahh my head is starting to hurt! :)

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tro

trojanshouse

Dec 5, 2013

Also, are these plug and play or do I need to download drivers?

really appreciate the help!

Tro

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
I've found many LSI won't boot room on N36L - be careful. P410/P400 definitely works.