HP MSA2040 SAN works with third-party drives - huge cost savings

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
So single-port 2.5" SAS drives are OK, but they would only be attached to a single controller so no high availability. HA is, for me anyway, the only reason to go with a SAN box like this over say a ZFS server, but good to know that at least they work in a pinch. Fingers crossed that your test with SATA drives also work - would be good to know.
Ok, so my memory was a bit off on the warnings you get with single-path drives. I found an old 320GB 5400rpm laptop drive, put it into the sled of a dead 36GB 15K dual-port SAS drive, and plugged it into a spare slot in a D2700 expansion shelf connected to a P2000G3 10GbE iSCSI unit. The array had no problems identifying the drive and would have been happy to create a vdisk with it to present to a host. Took a couple of screenshots from the web management interface - one showing the disk details, the other showing vdisk creation including the warning you get about single-path drives. Single-path disks do get controller failover, just not path failover. Of course that means you can't break the SAS paths one at a time to hot-add expansion shelves to the array if there are any single-path disks in it.

Reactions: Patrick

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I actually have done very little work with the SANs ... Always into DAS like the D3700 (used to break 1m iops off single p430)

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Just want to confirm; the P2000 G3 with 24 x 2.5" slot with FC controller can take regular non hp branded single/dual port sas drive without any interposer ?

Thanks

mstrzyze

Nov 9, 2015
hello

what about 4k 1.8 T SAS 10k Drives ? anyone can check that ( i'm waiting for chassis, then i need to find out controller :) )

Olim

May 20, 2019
Just checked on my MSA 2050 LFF :
1. SAS OEM HDD working fine
2. SATA HPE HDD is not recognised on the system.