HP Moonshot 1500

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
HP ProLiant Moonshot Server- Specifications - HP®

Anyone notice that the memory type is an Intel network controller?

General
Drive Description (1) SFF SATA
Processor Cache 1MB L2
Processor Family Intel® Atom™ S1200 product family
Processor Core Available 2
Processor Speed 2GHz
Memory Slots 1 DIMM slot
Memory Max 8MB
Memory Type Intel 82571EB
Memory Protection Features Unbuffered ECC
Network Controller Broadcomm 5720 2 Ports per controller
Single Broadcomm 5720 embedded LOM per S1260 processor
Storage Controllers Marvell 9125
Form Factor Chassis Rack
System Fans Features Hot plug redundant standard
Power Supply Type (4) Common Slot
Warranty Standard Statement Onsite limited to parts that are not readily user serviceable.
Warranty (parts-labor-onsite) 1/1/1

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Nice catch! I do want to try one of these out in the lab.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The HP "Moonshot" isn't designed for people to have "one of these". The project is about the idea of clustering hundreds - or even thousands - of them supporting applications that traditionally would run on large servers.

Hanss

Apr 3, 2013
Cornfield
The HP "Moonshot" isn't designed for people to have "one of these". The project is about the idea of clustering hundreds - or even thousands - of them supporting applications that traditionally would run on large servers.
why?
I thought I to distribute 45-users for 1 Dedicated Server.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
why?
I thought I to distribute 45-users for 1 Dedicated Server.

While the individual Moonshot blade is an intriguing low-power server, the most interesting part is the "MoonShot 1500 enclosure" along with the orchestration and management suite to manage 1,000's of these things together. Its sorta like taking the orchestration tools developed around virtualized deployments and then dispensing with the hypervisor by dedicating a micro-server to each orchestrated task.

See this telling note from their press release:

With support for up to 1,800 servers per rack, HP Moonshot servers occupy one-eighth of the space required by traditional servers. This offers a compelling solution to the problem of physical data center space.(3) Each chassis shares traditional components including the fabric, HP Integrated Lights-Out (iLo) management, power supply and cooling fans. These shared components reduce complexity as well as add to the reduction in energy use and space.
Just using HPs own product line as a comparison - and sticking to derivations from their public releases - 1,800 microservers in the same footprint as a two-chassis rack of C7000 blade systems (32 dual-CPU blades when using Intel G8 blades). Assuming those blades use 10 Core, 20 thread Ivy-bridge Xeons, 1,800 microservers in the same one-rack footprint as 1,280 threads worth of current generation top-of-the-line Xeon - with more total RAM, massively more net IO bandwidth, and perhaps as low as 20% of the power consumption/heat production per rack.

Last edited:

Hanss

Apr 3, 2013
Cornfield
With support for up to 1,800 servers per rack, HP Moonshot servers occupy one-eighth of the space required by traditional servers.
IMHO it is because of my English, but I can not understand how the 45 microservers of 4.3 units, can fit in a rack 1800 pcs?
1800/45 * 4.3 = 172 units.
172 units - 4 racks minimum. (?)
HP?s new Moonshot: 1,800 servers per rack, 3M visitors/day on 720 watts | VentureBeat
The first HP Moonshot 1500 server, meant for web hosting, is a 4.3U server enclosure with 45 Intel-based servers inside, plus a network switch and additional components. If you’re not a datacenter ninja, 4.3U means it’s approximately 7 inches high by 19 inches wide and can slide into a server rack, taking up slightly more than 4 standard server slots.

It’s meant for datacenters that need to scale quickly to adapt to changing server loads — such as providers of cloud services.

It will cost $61,875.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
That's why hp has like h12030.hp.com h31004.hp.com maybe? Load balance over so many of these?

also just for those that don't know... can run many sites off of an Atom.

johnduhart

Mar 14, 2013
That's why hp has like h12030.hp.com h31004.hp.com maybe? Load balance over so many of these?

also just for those that don't know... can run many sites off of an Atom.
HP has had that ridiculous naming structure even before Atoms existed.