HP G8 1356 "Smart Socket"?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

politby

Dec 31, 2013
Hi, I bought a DL360e G8 barebones server which is arriving soon. I also bought 2 E5-2450 CPUs from a different source.

While reading the hardware manual I discovered that HP have come up with the "Smart Socket" which involves a blue plastic bracket that is glued to the processor and slides onto the lid of the socket, thereby eliminating the "dropped the CPU onto the socket pins" problem (and maybe also the "customers buying cheaper CPUs w/o HP part numbers" problem).

Is this now a non standard 1356 socket, or can I install a CPU without the blue bracket?

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
From memory (don't do many cpu upgrades as most ship installed) you will need the blue plastic, it's easy to remove from a cpu, it's really just a plastic guide... anyway I Amy trying to remember but I can't imagine how to add the cpu without it now.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
We use Dell and SM mostly. We tried a few HPE's and didn't need the blue but it's really easy. Didn't do 1356. Only tried 2011.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
We use Dell and SM mostly. We tried a few HPE's and didn't need the blue but it's really easy. Didn't do 1356. Only tried 2011.
So you don't slide the cpu in just place it in place then clamp it down ?
Didn't read the cpu type I have only ever seen 2011 but I assume 1356 would be same concept.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
The "smart socket" is a blue caddy which the CPU sits in....basically you slide the caddy with CPU attached into more or less a sled and clamp it down evenly. IMO it's an over-engineered way to reduce the chance people would bend pins. That being said, if the chassis doesn't have the sled, you'll need to pick one up from somewhere to actually secure the cpu to the motherboard.

politby

Dec 31, 2013
The "smart socket" is a blue caddy which the CPU sits in....basically you slide the caddy with CPU attached into more or less a sled and clamp it down evenly. IMO it's an over-engineered way to reduce the chance people would bend pins. That being said, if the chassis doesn't have the sled, you'll need to pick one up from somewhere to actually secure the cpu to the motherboard.
As I understand it the sled/bracket comes with the HP processor kit, not the chassis, so I doubt they will be present. If they really are a must I'm SOL unless I can source them from somewhere. I found some on eBay at $15 a piece (ouch!) making a total of $50 with shipping to me in Sweden for two small pieces of plastic. Don't think so.

I'm surprised this seems not to be mentioned anywhere - perhaps the Gen8 is only now beginning to reach hobbyists.

politby

Dec 31, 2013
@Evan just plopped in socket as normal instead of sliding then using the lever to insert.
Are you 100% sure? I compared pictures of the DL360e G8 mobo to other vendors' 1356and the sockets look different:

HP 1356

Dell 1356

Gigabyte 1356

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Dell has the black plastic protection covers in place to hard to tell.
I can only comment to say from memory I can't imagine how to do it safely without using the plastic guides to slide the CPU in and have it be in the correct place. Actually I have never checked or thought about using a non-HP purchased CPU so not something I paid that much attention to.

politby

Dec 31, 2013
Dell has the black plastic protection covers in place to hard to tell.
I can only comment to say from memory I can't imagine how to do it safely without using the plastic guides to slide the CPU in and have it be in the correct place. Actually I have never checked or thought about using a non-HP purchased CPU so not something I paid that much attention to.
Well the socket itself is obviously the same, only the retention mechanism is different, so placing the CPU would not be a problem. But I agree with you, I don't see how there would be enough pressure on the processor without the blue thingy.

Okay it may lessen the bent pin problem but what an insidious way for HP to break the socket standard.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Very valid point the blue plastic would be calculated in the depth so the apply the correct pressure I would think.

Since when don't HP break something 'standard' , maybe not intentionally and this like many other things that are done to help actually are not standard.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Nope! was thinking of the DL380 variant.
Sure, DL380 is 2011 socket
I have only ever seen those DL380 ones, never actually seen the OP's system , I am assuming based on descriptions that's it's very similar for the other sockets

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
100% positive you don't need that blue plastic piece of shit. Own a ML350e Gen8 that takes the same CPUs and I am not using that blue smart socket crap on either CPU. Dual E5-2450L

It did however have the blue plastic thing on the stock single E5-2403

Reactions: politby

politby

Dec 31, 2013
100% positive you don't need that blue plastic piece of shit. Own a ML350e Gen8 that takes the same CPUs and I am not using that blue smart socket crap on either CPU. Dual E5-2450L

It did however have the blue plastic thing on the stock single E5-2403
Thanks for saving me from spending $50 on two blue plastic pieces of shit :D