HP Firmware Updates

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
Hey Guys,

So like most of us here I purchase my HP switches on eBay second hand. In doing so there are no support contracts or anything.

Now that HP has started to enforce the requirement of having a support contract to get firmware updates what are people doing?

Is there a cheap/inexpensive way of getting a support contract so I can grab these updates?

Mr. F

Sep 5, 2011
Hey Guys,

So like most of us here I purchase my HP switches on eBay second hand. In doing so there are no support contracts or anything.

Now that HP has started to enforce the requirement of having a support contract to get firmware updates what are people doing?

Is there a cheap/inexpensive way of getting a support contract so I can grab these updates?
Most HP switches have a lifetime warranty. Depending on whether the person who had it before you attached it to their HP account as 'single' or 'multiple' ownership (or attached it at all), you may even be able to link the warranty to your own account and it will show up that the warranty extends 100 years from the original purchase date.

I haven't had any issue getting firmware updates for HP networking gear, but I really only ever check when I first receive a piece of equipment. Just go to HP support, type in your model number and you should be able to get whatever you need. Just don't expect that you'll get any really new or recent updates for the older gear that's common on ebay.

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
I've got a variety of procurve switches. Probably my favorite brand for the lifetime warranty. I've used it multiple times.

In the colo I have 2x 1910-48G

At home I've got a bunch of 1800-8G and a 1800-24G as my "core" I suppose :p