HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini power adapter

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Nitram78

Feb 4, 2022
Hi,

Could someone tell me the exact HP part number for the EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini power adapter?

I just got a 2nd hand 65w model, power adapter, and couldn't get it to work.
Plugged a 65W (19.5v 3.3amp) HP adapter I had in spare without any success, so ordered a brand new one* that didn't solve the problem:
The computers emits a led-and-beep code as soon as it is plugged in. 3 long beeps with red led followed by 4 short beeps with white led, whole sequence repeated 5 times. This is supposed to mean power failure.

So, did I ordered the wrong adapter, of is this EliteDesk defective ?

* HP L2X04AA#ABB

Edit: Looks like I posted in the wrong section. Sorry about this.

Last edited:

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Are you sure that takes the 65W not the 95W adapter? Sometimes the configuration requires the higher power adapter

Reactions: Patrick

Nitram78

Feb 4, 2022
So
Are you sure that takes the 65W not the 95W adapter? Sometimes the configuration requires the higher power adapter
You're right, the problem may come from the 65w being too weak.
Sadly the 90w adapter seems to be unobtainable at the moment.
I'm going to try a 3rd party 90w adapter and see if it works...

Feb 21, 2022
Should just require a 65W adapter based on the label they put on these. Getting a 90W should also work though.

I personally strongly recommend against aftermarket adapters. Generally they "work", but it isn't worth the risk IMO. I know some HP machines won't even let you use the adapter if it doesn't recognize it.

A part number like 619752-001 would get you a 90W adapter. Otherwise searching HP 90W Supply on eBay will give you plenty of results. Just look at the tip as it should be the standard barrel plug with center pin. Avoid the new ones as they are quite frequently counterfeits. If you are in the US a used ones should run $15 or less.

If you are not sure if it is defective you may try removing the HDD and memory. See if it gives a no memory beep. If it does add just one stick of memory and see what it does. If it still gives an error try switching memory sticks and memory slots. If you can't get it to post with a known good genuine adapter the motherboard may be bad.

abq

May 23, 2015
Related question, does anyone know of server power supplies you can dial up to 20V and run 3 to 6 of these microcomputers (MTTs)? Something around 400 watts or more? ...This would be handy for a home MTT cluster, something like 3 to 6 of HP 400 G4s;).

Feb 21, 2022
Related question, does anyone know of server power supplies you can dial up to 20V and run 3 to 6 of these microcomputers (MTTs)? Something around 400 watts or more? ...This would be handy for a home MTT cluster, something like 3 to 6 of HP 400 G4s;).
Seems like that would be more work and more expensive than practical. You cold probably rig something slick up using 2x4s or metal brackets. Use a rear board to line the cables up with the ports then some top and bottom braces so you can just slid the mini PCs in like you would a server HDD.

abq

May 23, 2015
@What_Is_Computer, thank-you, good point on cost vs benefit. Homemade MTT rack sound like easiest approach, and I can hide power supplies behind desk. Maybe use suggestion (sorry, forgot who) to take a high power brick & split to power 3 or 4 at a time. I tried 2 at once from single 150 watt brick, just got a power warning from dell, but both worked. I was able to turn off warning in bios, so no more warning problem:).

Feb 21, 2022
@abq With how the power supply uses the sense pin you may run into unexpected issues. I know with Dell stuff they tend to throttle you if they don't like the power supply. Disabling the warning just stops it from interrupting post, mostly.