HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Mini Additional Built-in NIC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NateR

Feb 10, 2022
Hey all,

I designed a 3D printed adapter to put an additional NIC into my HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Minis, and figured I'd share it here in case anyone else wanted to do this on theirs.

The only NIC I could find that would fit without modification in the case seemed to be the DFRobot FIT0798: M.2(A+E Key) to Gigabit Ethernet Module Adapter for LattePanda Alpha and Delta - DFRobot

The files and further information can be downloaded here: HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Mini Additional 1gbe Port by NateroniPizza

I tried this in my 65w variations, but should work in the 35w ones based on the pictures I've seen (let me know if you successfully use it in one so that I can note it on the page). Also, pictures of the 800 G4 make it look like it MIGHT work on there... Could be worth trying if you've got a 3D printer.

PXL_20220307_144828444.jpg
PXL_20220307_144843698.jpg
PXL_20220307_144010752.jpg
PXL_20220307_143358072.jpg
Untitled.jpg

EDIT: Looks like this sub-forum needs specs. My servers' are:
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Proxmox
CPU: i5-7600
Motherboard: (Stock, included)
Chassis: (Stock, included)
Drives: 1x 1tb Samsung 850 Evo, 1x 1TB SK Hynix P31 Gold
RAM: 32GB (currently... So far haven't needed more, but it's upgradeable to 2x32GB despite what the spec sheets say)
Add-in Cards: DFRobot FIT0798
Power Supply: (Stock, included, 95w)
Other Bits:
3D printed mounting bracket for extra NIC

Last edited:

NateR

Feb 10, 2022
How well does the DFRobot FIT0798 work? Any performance or speed issues?
I only ran iPerf and seemed to run at the same speed as the integrated NIC (~900mbps each way). I've never done any serious network performance testing, so am not sure what other tools I should be using to test that. I also underutilize the hell out of these servers, so other than moving around VMs I probably won't be hitting them with enough that I'd potentially notice any issues.

MrWizard77

Mar 16, 2022
I only ran iPerf and seemed to run at the same speed as the integrated NIC (~900mbps each way). I've never done any serious network performance testing, so am not sure what other tools I should be using to test that. I also underutilize the hell out of these servers, so other than moving around VMs I probably won't be hitting them with enough that I'd potentially notice any issues.
Awesome thanks. One more quick question. Have you had any issues with pfsense freezing up on the HP? I'm wondering if my issue is due to the usb3 nic or heat.

NateR

Feb 10, 2022
Awesome thanks. One more quick question. Have you had any issues with pfsense freezing up on the HP? I'm wondering if my issue is due to the usb3 nic or heat.
I only have Proxmox on there - I don't currently use pfSense. I haven't had Proxmox freeze up on me, but they've only got a couple of lightweight VMs on them at the moment, so I've not had them really heat up much.

BR2049

Feb 17, 2023
I registered for an account just to thank you for this guide/writeup. I'm looking to run opnsense on my ED800 G3 mini. This should work nicely. Thank you!

Reactions: NateR

lhw455

Feb 25, 2024
Reviving an old thread as I'm trying to do the same thing with my Elitedesk 800 G3. I purchased this adapter (Mini PCIe/M.2 A+E KEY 1000M/2.5G Gigabit Ethernet Card R45 Network PCI Express | eBay), but it's not recognized by Opnsense and as far as I can see it's also not recognised by the BIOS. Did I buy an incompatible card or is there something else at play?

*edit* I bought the M.2 A+E variant

*edit2* it seems it's not the card, but rather OpnSense does not have the drivers for the card, as in Ubuntu I see the Realtek card

Last edited:
Reactions: dOrOdO

henworth

May 17, 2020
Reviving an old thread as I'm trying to do the same thing with my Elitedesk 800 G3. I purchased this adapter (Mini PCIe/M.2 A+E KEY 1000M/2.5G Gigabit Ethernet Card R45 Network PCI Express | eBay), but it's not recognized by Opnsense and as far as I can see it's also not recognised by the BIOS. Did I buy an incompatible card or is there something else at play?

*edit* I bought the M.2 A+E variant

*edit2* it seems it's not the card, but rather OpnSense does not have the drivers for the card, as in Ubuntu I see the Realtek card
I just dealt with this same thing. You need to install the os-realtek-re package, which AFAIK can only be done within a shell session. So ssh to the box, drop into the shell, run pkg install os-realtek-re, reboot, and you should be good to go.

lhw455

Feb 25, 2024
Reactions: paf

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
They have relocated the A+E connector in Elitedesk 800 G4, anyone found an intel based card which fits in it ?

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
They have relocated the A+E connector in Elitedesk 800 G4, anyone found an intel based card which fits in it ?
I figured it out, found an old video by @Patrick where he states that the FlexIO v1 ethernet port is an USB ethernet port, which is not interesting.

I found an Intel 210AT (Gigabit Ethernet Server Adapter M.2 A E I210AT Single Port Gigabit | eBay) NIC which works, I just had to modify the mount linked to by @NateR a bit (HP Elitedesk 800 G4/G5 FlexPort Ethernet by casperghst42). My pfSense works like a cham, and my throughput went from 680mb/s to 980mb/s which is as fast as it gets.

Reactions: lhw455 and NateR

mr. B

Mar 24, 2024
I figured it out, found an old video by @Patrick where he states that the FlexIO v1 ethernet port is an USB ethernet port, which is not interesting.

I found an Intel 210AT (Gigabit Ethernet Server Adapter M.2 A E I210AT Single Port Gigabit | eBay) NIC which works, I just had to modify the mount linked to by @NateR a bit (HP Elitedesk 800 G4/G5 FlexPort Ethernet by casperghst42). My pfSense works like a cham, and my throughput went from 680mb/s to 980mb/s which is as fast as it gets.
This looks perfect!
An additional 1Gb intel NIC into the HP 800 G4.

I'm going to order the nic and the bracket.

Anything else required to add the second nic ?

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
This looks perfect!

You can get some brass threaded inserts (M3) so that you can fix the ethernet port to the printed part. I didn't bother but will add it later (when I get some of these inserts).

Otherwise it just worked out of the box, I use it for my firewall (pfSense) running under proxmox.

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
This looks perfect!

I might have been too fast, I have both an G4 and an G5. With either if you have to lean the board against the nvme if you use a full length nvme - I just opened my G4 to add an extra nic to it (which was DOA), but I think there was slightly more space in the G5 than in the G5.

As for the insert I mentioned, you actually use an 3mm screw from the back side of the 3d print to fasten the ethernet port to it.

IMG_3274.jpeg