HP EliteDesk 705 G4 Mini AMD Ryzen-based Project TinyMiniMicro

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
I bought one off Tiger Direct when they were having a sale last month. I'm ok with it. I have it running 16gb RAM, and the Tiger Direct version came with an SSD bracket, so I have the NVME with an SSD also.

I have 3 DP's on mine. The third is the I/O card that can be replaced with an HDMI or a USB-C card. I may buy the USB-C version for future use.

I use it for Parsec, will eventually do more with it (Minecraft Server). For the sale price on TigerDirect, I think it's a decent buy. The equivalent Dell and Lenovo models on Ebay are more expensive or more difficult to find.

My biggest grievance is that it runs really hot. I have it on a laptop cooler and can't get the temps to budge. I already worked through tons of firmware updates for the GPU. Right away the fan was on full blast all the time. Firmware and BIOS update fixed that.

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
Update:

Laptop cooler helped. Still runs hot when playing Civ VI with Parsec, but better.

16gb ram working fine.

Forgot to mention that the Tiger Direct version included the SSD bracket and an Intel wifi/BT chip. The NVME was WDC. Win 10 Pro license.

Waiting for I/O card to pop up on auction for cheap. Holding my breath and likely will pass out before I find one at a good price.

The value from TD is better than the test version because the TD includes SSD, wifi/BT. For $380 if an Intel 8th gen popped up with Win 10 pro, that would be the best buy.

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
In our HP EliteDesk 705 G4 Mini Project TinyMiniMicro guide we see how this AMD Ryzen-powered mini PC compares to its competition and predecessors

The post HP EliteDesk 705 G4 Mini AMD Ryzen-based Project TinyMiniMicro appeared first on ServeTheHome.

Continue reading...
Thank you for the article, good read. Curious on how the value of this rates vs newer alternative when taking into account the price. The article mentioned paying I think $380 for the unit vs buying new ASUS PN50-BBR030MD available for $330 new at Newegg. i.e. ryzen is more recent , supports faster memory, uses less power, has higher boost, (slightly ) higher performance , and asus item comes with warranty. I think Intel option has more cache..

not that EliteDesk is a bad unit, it is just at the same price as new alternative I am not sure it makes good value option..