HP EG0300FBDBR Firmware Upgrade

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kemic

Aug 15, 2015
I've recently inherited a few HP 2.5" 300G SAS 10k drives (EG0300FBDBR). I'm going to attempt to use them in a ZFS configuration, 18 drives total across 3 Dell H310s (flashed to LSI 2008 HBAs). From what I can tell these drives have 3 different versions of HP firmware on them. The majority are HPDA with some HPD7 and a few HPD6s in mix as well... I've tried a number of firmware upgrade methods described on HPs site with no luck (online and offline methods in both Linux and Windows). I've also tried some Linux based SCSI tools for flashing the firmware (scsirastools) , but that too failed.

On to my questions:
1. I'd like to make all of the drives at the latest FW level (appears to be HPDA). Does anyone have any helpful info to share on how to accomplish this?
2. Do you guys foresee any problems running 3 different firmware revisions in a ZFS vdev if option 1 is not possible?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
1. I'd like to make all of the drives at the latest FW level (appears to be HPDA). Does anyone have any helpful info to share on how to accomplish this?
Not since HP started treating their customers as infinite cash cows. It used to be possible to download the firmware update files from HP and run them under the EFI console on a HP system with a HP disk controller. Some time ago, most HP downloads started saying "Prove you have a support agreement in place for this exact item, and then we'll think about letting you have the file. Maybe." (I know someone with a support contract who has been trying to get an update for over 2 years now.)

2. Do you guys foresee any problems running 3 different firmware revisions in a ZFS vdev if option 1 is not possible?
Not unless you run into a firmware bug that is fixed on a newer drive. Absolutely identical firmware hasn't been necessary since the days of "spindle sync" (a number that went between drives to lock their absolute speed). Most firmware fixes are for oddball cases that only show up in testing (things like the 7200.11 bug being the exception) and often only on that manufacturer's branded controllers.