HP E3800 Switches $50 + $25 shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
These have been online for a while now, but with all the Brocade love in these forums I figured I would try and spread the wealth around xD
I bought one from this seller in January. Came well packed, firmware wasn't updated and still had some version of their config on it. Mine was apparently from a school district in Manatee County Florida.

The E3800 is a Campus core/stackable grade switch.
HP Doc: Document Display | HPE Support Center
A little power hungry at 70 watts idle, but reasonable:
View attachment 14303

Pushes alot of packets, full wire speed layer 3:
View attachment 14304

Compares to the Brocade ICX6450 but no licensing is any non-sense required, and comes with full RIP/OSPF Layer 3 out of the box.
View attachment 14305

It has a higher forwarding capacity And it has a far larger MAC table:
View attachment 14306

It's most recent Firmware is from November:

A link to the initial release note for the 16.02 branch:

ONLY SUPPORTS HP CODED SFP+ Modules/10G BaseT
Newer Switches such as 2920/2930/2530/2940 can use "unsupported trancievers" this switch CANNOT

Sorry-- I manage a bunch of Brocade switches and I just hate Brocade :)

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Solid deal for such a powerful switch. A new 48 port unmanaged switch goes for more than this. :D

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
That is a pretty nice deal, shipping to Europe is a bit expensive though ($75 + VAT of switch)
The spec page say the following about acoustics: Power: 36 dB, Pressure: 25.4 dB

But what does that mean? 36db on power up?
Anyone have some first hand experience?

About the transceiver support, have you tried with DAC cables? (I would assume those are not limited, but I suppose you never know).

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
That is a pretty nice deal, shipping to Europe is a bit expensive though ($75 + VAT of switch)
The spec page say the following about acoustics: Power: 36 dB, Pressure: 25.4 dB

But what does that mean? 36db on power up?
Anyone have some first hand experience?

About the transceiver support, have you tried with DAC cables? (I would assume those are not limited, but I suppose you never know).
I have one and it is pretty quiet.

ske4za

Feb 4, 2019
I've seen this listing and price before, and talked about it on Reddit at one point. I don't need it as I already have a Procurve 2910 and a Aruba S2500 at home (I also manage a 2930 at work). For what it's worth, I run these Fibay J9150A modules on my 2910 without any issue which are a little cheaper than the 10Gtek J9150A currently.

Code:
show interfaces transceiver A1 detail

Transceiver in A1
   Interface Index    : 25
   Type               : SFP+SR
   Model              : J9150A
   Connector Type     : LC
   Wavelength         : 850nm
   Transfer Distance  : 80m (50um), 30m (62.5um), 300m (50um OM3),
   Diagnostic Support : DOM
   Serial Number      : FBM190422290

Status
   Temperature : 45.167C
   Voltage     : 3.2938V
   Tx Bias     : 6.674mA
   Tx Power    : 0.5254mW, -2.795dBm
   Rx Power    : 0.5773mW, -2.386dBm

Time Stamp    : Sat May 30 11:10:05 2020

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
It should not matter, and I really want to like this deal, but at a little over $150 (more than a $100 for shipping, the VAT processing fee to the GSP and of course the VAT itself0) just kills it for me, even if it is still a nice price, it does not sit right with me to pay that much (percentage wise) for "nothing". I suppose it is just more for you US people ;)

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
Adding my support for a great deal. I like HPE equipment in general and ran a rebranded Aruba switch at home before replacing it with an ICX (more ports, and 12x 10GbE). The Cisco Small Business/rebranded Linksys gear is also good value for the money.

These have been online for a while now, but with all the Brocade love in these forums I figured I would try and spread the wealth around xD
Haha. I have to be honest with you, the Brocade love in these forums has more to do with @fohdeesha than anything else. He's invested a crazy amount of time and energy (more than most people on the forum know) to figuring out how to make these useful for home labs.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Totally agree @blinkenlights. What @fohdeesha has done is above and beyond the call of duty for getting folks started and continual operation with ICX, Arista, Quanta, and who know what else switches. There are apparently lots and lots of things he's done behind the scenes like getting other switches working, debugging stuff for other people. Amazing.

Hope his medical challenges are resolved.

user-42

Jun 11, 2020
I have 6 or 7 of those in production right now. They are very loud and longer than you would expect (almost can't plug in power on a 32u wall mount Tripplite rack, significantly longer than a 2920). Also they are quite heavy. That being said I really like them for the price and they run the 16.x firmware iirc. Firmware updates end this year or next, so I will likely be replacing them somewhat soon if budgets allow.

Last edited:

lukeck

Jan 18, 2017
Australia
Is there any reason to get an icx6450 over this?

I’m contemplating getting two to put on either end of a fibre link I’m about to run between a cupboard in my house and a freestanding garage that I’m converting to an office/workshop.

So far in this thread I’ve seen one report that they’re quiet and one that they’re loud. Would they be quiet enough to put in a hallway cupboard in a central location and in the same room where I’ll be working full time? I’m looking at 48 port POE in both cases.

A fan mod on an icx6450 looks fairly easy. If the E3800s really are loud, are they modd-able?

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
Personally, I don't think the E3800 is all that loud. It is not silent like alot of newer equipment, but it's not a screamer.
I have 2 of them in a closet behind my computer desk area and with the door closed I don't hear them at all. I have not opened the chassis to mess around with the fans.
To be clear with these, they do not have front-to-back airflow, they have side-to-side. HP has documentation in regards to the fans here:

Here is an ebay auction with some pictures of the actual assembly:

As far as this vs the ICX, this has much newer firmware revisions available than the ICX6xxx series. The code base of that series still has the dreaded dual-mode garbage. This has the 16.xx code base which gives it most of the latest features.
The only down side I would imagine would be that if POE is a requirment, there are far fewer deals on eBay for POE models. I paid $300 (shipped) for my POE one, while only paying $75 (shipped) for my non-poe one.