HP DL380G6

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
Hi,
I've asked in reddit and haven't received an answer, but If I DO NOT want the fans to go absolutely wild on my DL380G6 and I want to put a 10G network adapter in... an adapter that came WAY after my DL380G6 was manufactured... such as an HP 560SFP+ which is meant for a 9th gen version...

Basically I'm trying to run 10G on an old hardware platform, but I don't want the fans to go nuts and the 10G network cards from the G6 generation seem to have heating issues.

Anyone?

Labs

Mar 21, 2019
Hi,
I've asked in reddit and haven't received an answer, but If I DO NOT want the fans to go absolutely wild on my DL380G6 and I want to put a 10G network adapter in... an adapter that came WAY after my DL380G6 was manufactured... such as an HP 560SFP+ which is meant for a 9th gen version...

Basically I'm trying to run 10G on an old hardware platform, but I don't want the fans to go nuts and the 10G network cards from the G6 generation seem to have heating issues.

Anyone?
Why the fans should go nuts if you install a 10G network card? I have 2 Sun branded 10G network cards in my G6 plus a expander because I added the second cage for another 8 drives in total 16 drives and a dual port fibre channel card and the unit is working normal after it boots. I mean it is really quiet compared to other servers.
I didn't notice any difference in the way fans work before and after installing all those cards and extra hard drives.

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
Why the fans should go nuts if you install a 10G network card? I have 2 Sun branded 10G network cards in my G6 plus a expander because I added the second cage for another 8 drives in total 16 drives and a dual port fibre channel card and the unit is working normal after it boots. I mean it is really quiet compared to other servers.
I didn't notice any difference in the way fans work before and after installing all those cards and extra hard drives.
I've tried a mellanox X3 and a Mellanox X2. And those fans spin up to warp speed with those cards. What Sun cards?

Labs

Mar 21, 2019
I've tried a mellanox X3 and a Mellanox X2. And those fans spin up to warp speed with those cards. What Sun cards?
I used the Sun quad port gigabit adapters because I had some spares and also a Sun Emulex dual port FC adapter 4Gb/s.
Did you update the BIOS? I had to make a lot of firmware updates a few years ago to G6 I remember.
BIOS, backplane, SAS controller, expander card (I have both 8 slot cages in total 16 drives), on board 4x1 gigabit card, ILO and also hard drives firmware.
Server is quite silent.