HP DL380 G6 Noisy/BIOS update??

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Iain Stott

Jan 15, 2017
First off sorry if this is in the wrong place but I couldn't see a better place for it.

I recently got a DL380 G6 cheap and I'm planning on consolidating all my other physical machines onto this. While I'm building a custom cabinet to put everything in I've been having a play around with the DL380 as its not needed just yet, and up to now I've been really happy with. So I've finished playing around with it now and I am looking at starting the proper permanent configuration now, but since I've re-formatted and reinstalled Proxmox its become really really loud.

As far as I can tell the temps are all fine and not overheating anywhere and it all seems to be a bit random. It's not really under any sort of load as I've just been doing the initial updates/config and can be sat left idling for it to slowly ramp up the speed of the fans. It then wont slow them down and only a restart will reset the speeds.

When I first got it I could sit it in the living room and mess about on it and the sound would be hardly noticeable, but now it drowns out the TV.

It's not going to be a problem when the project is finished, but I'm wondering if somethings not right to begin with.

I've looked into a BIOS update, but all I can see is I need a support agreement to get one?? Yeah wont be paying for that, so is there anywhere else I may be able to acquire one from??

Also would resetting the BIOS be worth a try?? Or changing CMOS battery??

Thanks
Iain

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
Do you have consumer/non HP drives ?
Most of the time, fans ramp up because it doesen't like the hdd`s you have in it, check IML to see if you have overheating in the enclosure zone.

You should have something like this "Internal SAS Enclosure Overheating (Zone 1, Location Storage, Box 1, Port 1I, Slot 2)"

I have the same problem but the noise doesn't bother me.

Reactions: Iain Stott

Iain Stott

Jan 15, 2017
Do you have consumer/non HP drives ?
Most of the time........
This was my next area of investigation once I had updated the bios today, skipped doing that and just swapped some HDDs around and its back to normal.
I owe you some unspeakable sexual favours......

Thanks
Iain