HP DL380 G6, ESXi v6

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
HP's VMware support matrix has removed the HP DL380 G6 from ESXi 6 compatibility although it has the G7 listed.
VMware's list of unsupported hardware agrees.

The HP DL380 G6 uses two HP NC382i dual Network cards for a total of 4 gigabit ports. They are broadcom based. (HP Quickspec) I understand those to use the Broadcom BCM5709C Chipset.

According to this vmware compatability page, the NC382i network card should be no problem on ESXi 6. Would you try first with the HP ESXi 6 image?

Anyone try ESXi 6 on the HP DL380 G6? What would be likely to break or wise to check?

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Is this for home or business?

Something to keep in mind is that not being on the HCL doesn't mean won't work. It just means there's no financial incentive for them to go back and validate an older model that likely is getting replaced soon.

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Good point, this is for a homelab. Looking to use my VMUG licenses and get FT running and more under 2 x L5640 and 72GB of RAM.

Last edited:

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Then you're 'probably' fine. Confirm the chipset, CPU, NIC, and disk controllers independently are still supported. If so, then likely as a whole is still good.

I'd definitely use the HP ESXi image. Do you have these already? Of so give it a shot. Boot from USB and you can swap ESXi versions quick and easily.

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Thanks it all seams to be compatible. I google translated a german webpage that showed an DL 380 G6 upgrading from esxi 5.5 to 6.0.
CPU, NIC, and HBA (P410i/512) all appear to be good to go.

I'll need to decide if I want to buy compact flash for booting VMware or continue with USB Flash drives (edit). The server should arrive by Friday.

Last edited:

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Do you have some particular reason you'd want to not go with free vendor supplied USB keys? ;)
Its a used Ebay server. What do you mean by free HP USB keys? (HP customized ESXI 6 image, or usb flash drives?)

I have two HP DL380 G6 servers running esxi6 with no issues.
Excellent, thanks. Did you need to add any drivers or just a straight up install?
I am thinking of adding the Optical Bay LFF Cage or using a generic 5.25" to 3.5" adapter for supplemental storage.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Its a used Ebay server. What do you mean by free HP USB keys? (HP customized ESXI 6 image, or usb flash drives?)
Heh, no I don't mean HP keys although you will want to use their customized ISO.

No I mean like swag keys from vendors. Otherwise what use is a Veeam 8gb USB key with software I already have, etc. Everything I have boots from free vendor keys ;)

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Ah now I follow you. Yeah many venders like to give stuff away. USB Drives are nice although oversized t-shirts have grown a bit stale for me. Venders if your listening please offer nicer polo shirts with more sizes than only large/xl :)

Reactions: NetWise

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Good news, ESXi v6.0 from the latest HP Customized iso installed cleanly on the DL380 g6 without needing anything. HP SmartArray 410i drivers were built-in.

Last edited: